General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

DIY ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:06 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Well I dunno if it will help you at all with your project, but would look cool Craig cause your blazer is black.

My next cheap projects for my new used blazer are:

Use VHT Nightshades paint to do my taillights and signals and marker reflectors black. This is cool paint, and you can ask anywhere that sells VHT high heat engine paints to get you some. Its like 10 bucks a can, and a can will make 8 taillights pitch black, 16 medium black. Ive used it on all my cars so far and its nice. Make sure you do many many many thin thin thin coats cause this stuff runs really easy but dries fast. After its dried in the sun for 6 hours you can clearcoat it with gloss or matte clearcoat. Prep the lights with alcohol really good and scuff them up with steel wool before painting, do this and its on there forever with no peeling.

Tint my back window and drivers windows. This project isnt for everyone, but I have tinted about 1400 cars by now, I used to do it as a part time job. Dont use crappy auto parts store tint though, go to a tint shop and buy some off the roll of their professional stuff, they should sell it to you for no more than 3 bucks a foot. Solargard and Llumar are excellent brands and wont turn purple like Im sure you have seen before on the streets.

Paint my hood and bumpers with boxliner spray - black.

Keep my eye out at the wreckers for a small steering wheel, you have a newer blazer so I dont think this will apply to you cause you have an airbag.

Keep an eye out at the wreckers for a black grille, I have a chrome one. Or find something that will make that chrome stuff peel off and leave me with a black grille.

Take the foglights off my broken down explorer and put them on.

Sell the explorer for 1000 as is and get some nice wheels for the blazer from craigslist or kijiji

Make my own dual exhaust setup with junkyard mufflers and bulk pipe from the parts store. Ill order some fancy tips online.

Make my own CAI so i dont have to remove the air filter box anymore to get my oil filter off and locate the air filter down low where its cool air. I dont do any mud bogging so it will be fine.

Find a center console at the wreckers, the one I have has a broken lid on it.

Make a second washer fluid bottle and pump that sprays water onto the front of my radiator automatically via a temp switch tapped into the thermostat housing. Keeps the engine cooler in the summer, it gets HOT here 6 months a year. I have this on my v8 s10 and it works like hot damn. Uses a gallon of water about once a week.

Keep my eyes peeled at the wreckers for things like a cowl hood, windshield visor and cowl, rear window visor/wing thing, ventshades for the windows, and any other parts I think will look cool. I fix peoples cars alot so I go to the wrecker yard alot.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:16 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker
That's true, I do earn money but since I have to put a lot away (car insurance for example).

Ok that makes sense (the column shifter) guess that one is from the SONOMA? And my shifter is behind the wheel so that one would work. And I'll probably be painting it gray anyway because the blue would clash with my red/gray interior. ^^
I doubt it's from a Sonoma. I don't think the Sonoma's had the same centre consoles as a Blazer. It's probably just out of a regular Blazer...A lot of Sonoma's has bench seats anyway..

Last edited by Sisk; 02-21-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABN31B
well if you're gonna diy a spoiler...

but seriously: DIY chrome. since you are not a lift and mud kind of ride. might as well bling it out.

LOL no thanks

@ohsofly awesome ideas

@sisk ya your right,pickup's normally have bench seats

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Craig, ditch the running boards and purchase my stainless steel nerf bars that are sitting in my garage doing nothing.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Too bad they weren't 2dr Nerf Bars Dave...I'd take them off your hands today lol.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Sell your blazer and buy a 4dr..lol..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

@ the last 3 posts...

Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze
Craig, ditch the running boards and purchase my stainless steel nerf bars that are sitting in my garage doing nothing.
Na, IMO nerf bars are ugly LOL

Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I see no price....

Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran

Sell your blazer and buy a 4dr..lol..
So that would be $4000-5000 nerf bars eh? Hmm...no thanks, I'll pass. lol

And Craig loves the grampa style running boards (for what reason I will never understand). You've gotta be the only person under 65 that likes then. Well at least you're ready for when you retire!! lmao, sorry Craig. I couldn't resist...all in good fun

Quick Reply: DIY ideas?