General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Electrical Issue in ex-wife's van ('99 Venture)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:41 PM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical Issue in ex-wife's van ('99 Venture)

Hi guys,

Sorry about posting about the '99 Venture, but I haven't found a suitable forum that's regularly monitored like here at the BlazerForum. That said - hopefully someone will have a direction for me to look.

My ex has the Venture (I got the Blazer).. Lately, she's noticed that all the interior cabin lights do not turn off with the switch in the dash. So - the battery has been running down. Would you suspect the switch itself? Or is maybe a relay for the interior lights stuck closed, and not releasing when power is removed from the circuit (via the dash switch)? Or could it be either (or another direction I need to look?). She IS able to turn off the lights with the overhead console kill-switch.. but I suspect that's in-line from the relay side of the power.

I'll probably swap vehicles with her for a day next week to take care of the routine maintenance for her (oil change, flush & refill radiator, etc) , and hope to knock out the electrical issue at the same time.

Thanks,
Rex S.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Electrical Issue in ex-wife's van ('99 Venture)

I would suspect a door switch to be the culprit, but it is possible that the switch in the dash is also at fault, just not as likely.

I would start by disconnecting all of the door switches. If it is one of the switches, the lights should turn off. If they do not, then the door switches are ok. If the lights turn off, plug each switch in by itself (ie. no other switches connected). Go until you find one that causes the lights to stay on when you push the button on the switch.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kyle - I'll start there with my troubleshooting.

Rex

Old 02-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Starting Member
danmiranda is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds most logical.

My Dad had a similar problem with Cabin lights in his 99' Venture. The problem fell in the fuses, depending on how the fuses are setup and arranged for the cabin lighting, it can cause some funny problems. You can check the Venture's manual I believe on that.