Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Help with a 99 Chevy Venture

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:56 PM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about
Question Help with a 99 Chevy Venture

I'm turning to the good guys here for some help

I have a 99 Chevy Venture with 103,000 miles on it with the 3.4 v6, I have owned it for 18 months.
The problem I have is that it would not start every now and then but if you wait 30-40 mins it will start like nothing happened, it have done this 4 times so far, I don't really use it unless we are going out with the family (meaning more than us 3) is mostly the wife that drives it.
The first time last summer I called road service the tow truck showed up in about 20 mins and when we got to the mechanic it started right up so he could not diagnose what was wrong. The second time I was hauling some boxes for storage and when I was ready to leave the storage place it would not start, waited about 20 mins since it was about 30 mins that I shut it off and started right up again. The 3rd time was with the wife, she was at the supermarket and when she came out no start, she was only 3 blocks from the house so she left it there until I got out of work and same thing started right up. The last was today, we went to the park and I thought on my way back take it to the car wash so I took the van, we stopped at the boardwalk on the way home and it would not start again, waited about 40 mins and again running like a champ.
I think the fuel pump might be the culprit here but every time it goes to the shop it doesn't do the problem so it can be diagnosed. I'm hoping someone would have an insight on this or experienced a similar problem and point me in the direction to correct it, I'm afraid it will do it and not start anymore in the worst place (like a few hundreds miles from home). I have vacations coming up and was thinking on taking this for a trip because it's roomier and better with gas than the Blazer but I think I'm going with the safest and take my trusty Blazer.

Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Jorge

Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road

So Im assuming that it cranks but not firing up. It could either be the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, etc. Is there any lights that come on when it does this after it fires up? The next time it does this, climb under the fuel tank and see if you can hear the fuel pump kicking in. If you do, that doesnt mean that its not messing up and not sending the right amount of pressure. Is the fuel filter part of the fuel pump on these?

Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 AM

Yes it cranks and everything works as it should, even when it is working right I can't hear the pump that's what makes me think it could be that but the mechanic says he can't find nothing wrong with it and every time it had done it the shop is closed except the first time and by the time the tow truck got there it started right up, I got a full tune up done about 14 months ago, I got it with 99,500 miles and as of today it have 103,700. I bought it for a good price because it had the MAF bad and the front bumper cover is cracked other than that it is in decent condition.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road

Hmmm, what I would do is the next time this happens, check your fuel rail where the relief valve is incase you vapor lock and see if fuel comes out. You know what Im talking about. It looks like a tire stem. If nothing comes out, its your fuel pump. If fuel comes out, then its something else.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 AM

Ok, I will check that

Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

my sister has a 97 transport...same as a venture, with the 3400. She always has a problem with it starting... it will crank and crank until u hit the throttle a few times then it starts and runs great.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:17 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Might want to change the fuel pump relay, they are like 15 bucks for cheap insurance, but get it from the dealer not a cheapie jobber one.

You could also just swap it with your horn relay for the next couple weeks and see if that changes the situation.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:51 AM

@ red06sc- When this have done it doesn't matter how many times you hit the throttle it would not start

@ ohsofly-That's a good idea I will go out and do it as soon as it stop raining and get a new one in the week

Thanks for the tips.