General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Front brakes, hot,dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 09:18 PM
Weatherj is on a distinguished road
Default Front brakes, hot,dragging?

My 01 2DR Blazer seems to me to have front dics that drag at times. Both can feel very hot to the touch,I can’t keep my hand on the wheel. Both capilers were replaced and both rubber lines replaced. I have tried to bleed the Harris module by shorting the pump to run and also did the wet grass hit the brakes to activate the system. I know at times they drag by going to neutral at a slow speed and it will stop just like the brakes applied. Has any actually just hard plumed and by pass the anti skid module? What temperature is considered too high?

Old 05-03-2022, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I don't know about the temperature but one thing to check is if the calipers are free to slide on their guide pins. If they are not kept lubricated, rust can form and they will cause the pads to rub.

Old 05-13-2022, 05:33 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I can't help you on the Antilock Brake System. But have worked on my Blazer and other GM car's disc brakes. Ditto on Christine's comment above. The front disc brakes have two places that can cause 'drag'. 1./ The caliper pistons can be restricted in their bore. In extreme cases, the piston can seize in the bore. This situation would be eliminated by your replacing both of the front calipers, so lets move this possibility to the side.....2./ Much more common problem is the sticking caliper pins. These two pins /per caliper/ should be clean and free of corrosion and then lubed with the proper high temp pin lube. Don't be tempted to over lube. You don't want the excess lube to get on pads and rotors! Replace both pins if severely corroded. Make sure the rubber boot is seated properly and the pin is moving freely. Comment---just because the caliper is new, doesn't mean they pre lubed the pins at the factory.!!!
The strange situation here is BOTH front calipers are getting hot. That complicates this case of dragging brakes: what would cause BOTH front brakes to drag and get hot? It is hard to believe that both front discs would be exactly the same temperature. Even without the answer to your question: What temperature is considered too high ? Borrow a temp sensor and get a reading after a drive of the front caliper's temperatures. A comparison of the two front calipers would tell us something. It would seem to put us back in the area of the anti lock brake system as the cause. That means you will need a high level of scanner to read the anti lock brake system. Let us know what you find out.