General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Gas tank gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Joemakerman is on a distinguished road

Has anyone also noticed that when driving on hills it changes? A few days ago I was driving down a really steep hill and the gauge went down from 5/8 to about 1/4, and on the way back up the hill on my return trip it went to full.

-Joe

Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joemakerman
Has anyone also noticed that when driving on hills it changes? A few days ago I was driving down a really steep hill and the gauge went down from 5/8 to about 1/4, and on the way back up the hill on my return trip it went to full.

-Joe
What would you expect to happen with a tank that is much longer than it is wide?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What would you expect to happen with a tank that is much longer than it is wide?
lol its kinda obvious this would happen because the gas has to follow gravity and the sensor is in a fixed place >_<

Old 02-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My Chevelle's gas gauge would go from 3/4 to E on acceleration! LOL But that was unbuffered.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine dances around once its under half a tank. I've just sorta gotten used to it and it can wait till the fuel pump goes out.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:41 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel sender circuit

The fuel sender is NOT the only thing that affects the readout on the dash. Grab your wiring diagram and start tracing. Im going to reference a diagram for a 97 blazer. The purple wire from the sensor goes to the fuel buffer module under the glove box. The buffer has it's own power source, inputs, outputs and 5 volt reference voltage. The signal is also sent to the vehicle control module located on the right side of the engine compartment. These magic little boxes analyze and fondle the signal that is eventually sent to the fuel gauge. A flaky gauge is not always cause by a bad sender. Meter the sender out with a VOM and diagnose the problem instead of just throwing parts at it. A wiring diagram, a $10 meter and an hour of time will save you gadzooks of money. Trust me on that one!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Try this search:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/search.php?do=process&query="fuel level sending unit"

This has been a well discussed topic in the past. You just have to know how to use our search and the proper terms to find the information.

The fuel level sending unit can be purchased separately from the fuel pump assembly, however, the steps in replacing it include removal of the pump!

One thing you can try at this point is run a few tanks with Chevron Techron Fuel System Treatment PLUS (20 gal treatment) through. This treatment has cleaning agents that can remove the harmful sulfur deposits from the sending unit grid. If this doesn't work, then that means that the sulfur has caused the contacts to wear down, screwing with the fuel level reading. I use the treatment in all of my vehicles at every oil change as a preventative measure.

yes sorry, i used the search first but i miss spelled what i was searching for..

Didn't realize until after i made the thread hehe

Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my sending unit with a new one and sure don't trust the gauge. Sometimes the warning light will flash at 1/4 tank and other times at 1/8 which I think is about right. You can replace the sender without replacing the pump. Someone had twisted the outlet tube on mine so when I replaced the pump I just finished it off getting it loose.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:19 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Ive got the digital dash cluster, and mine reads full for 250km, then drops to half by 375, then empty at 500... ive never tried to see if it will go farther than that, i just fill her up then. I cant rely on my guage it seems. Ive asked other blazer owners who have the digital dash, and they ALL have the same problem with it.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:55 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I know this topic is old, but is it safe to use Chevron Techron (20 gallon treatment) two tanks in a row? I have a gauge that is like 1/4 of a tank behind (I have below 1/2 a tank now and it is dancing between F and 1/4 sometimes going to 1/2 when the car is stopped with the engine off) and I couldn't help but notice that it only started doing that after I started using Lucas every tank for like 4 tanks and then every other tank until I stopped using it all together a month ago. I have Techron in the gas now and I got to fill it up tomorrow. I don't use much gas because don't drive much around here because it is a small town even when I only get 9-11mpg.