General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

General Care Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:12 AM
ana
ana is on a distinguished road
Default General Care Questions

I feel like such a whimp...but im gonna post this anyway...i have no experience in taking care of my blazer... it is my goal to change this. Thats why i joined this site.

So... my first whimpy little project is... gonna get some cottonballs and soak them in peppermint oil...and gonna get some moth *****. I read somewhere that this is a good way to keep mice out of the engine, since my blazer will be sitting for a bit (i have seen evidence that these little creatures would like to stay for the winter). Since i moved to a rural type area, i have had this issue to deal with when it gets cold. My cat is a dam good mouse trap for the house, but kitty doesnt want to stay in the blazer. So... hoping if i use both of these methods, i wont have this problem to deal with. We shall see!

Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 AM
ana

Slowly but surely building a car care foundation... next project is waxing, got a few waxes on hand,but i think there cheap, from what ive read on this forum, Meguirs NXT seems to be a good choice... i may also have time to tackle a wire issue,attached to the battery,the guy at autozone was pretty helpful,with which size and how to fix, seems fairly simple. The more i read here, the more i want to do, (exchange radio from other vehicle,change interior lights, body work,etc...) but...gotta get the basics first. I got a question (please pardon my ignorance here) Is it better to do your own oil change? Or have a Jiffy place do it?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM
spittybays

Better or cheaper?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

I like doing all of my own work because then I know exactly what has been done. If you trust other people to work on your truck, then go ahead to jiffy lube and save some money even. I'd rather know what I did than hope they did something.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM
ana

Good point... i do trust my regular mechanic (good,honest,guy) for the big stuff... but... yeah ive never trusted the jiffy places.
So... i will research this... and learn by doing.
It is my goal... to build a knowledge of what my blazer needs.
I ashamed to say that i relied on others to take care of things, thinking that i couldnt do it. I know that there are going to be things that I cant handle... I also know that there is plenty that i Can Do.
I Appreciate the feedback Very Much.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved posts to their own thread. To the OP, please do not 'threadjack' somebody else's thread.*

Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Oil is one thing that IMO everyone should be able to do on their own. The hardest part really should be locating the filter and drain plug. (Which isn't difficult) If nothing else, watch a youtube vid or two and it'll show you just how easy it is.

By the way, where are you moving to in Michigan?