General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Getting our Blazer back tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Default Getting our Blazer back tomorrow

In the morning we are going to pick up our Blazer. It was in the shop for the last 2 weeks getting warranty issues repaired. A/C compressor went out, there were some bolts missing, & a Check Engine Soon light.
When I called today to confirm it would be ready, I was told that it was ready & that it was taken back to the shop that installed the NEW ENGINE. My mouth dropped, What? I bought this truck a month ago from a dealer 87,000 miles. A NEW Engine I wasn't expecting to hear that. So I guess I bought a used 1997 Blazer 4x4 with a New, Rebuilt, or Reman Engine & rebuilt tranny. I guess this is good, but not sure. It runs real good, I guess the issues we are having involve getting the bugs out of a replaced engine & tranny. So tomorrow I will get to see I guess. I was getting 16.5-17 MPG on the road so I guess after a break in I could actually expect better. That would be nice.
Now that I know the engine has been replaced I will change the oil sooner than normal this first oil change. It kind of pissed me off that they didn't tell me when I asked about was there any issues was the tranny or engine replaced that they knew & they said NO then it turns out they had an engine installed before they sold it to me.
Anyway, kind of a RANT. Kind of not knowing what to think. Any comments are welcome.
Craig

Old 04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Beginning Member
alangri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Getting our Blazer back tomorrow

Yea, It ticks me off when I know I've been lied to. Anyway, hope everything works out for you. Alan

Old 04-05-2008, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I hope everything is fine now, let us know everything they did to it for you!!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 PM

Well, went and picked it up today. Everything appears to be done that I requested. What I have figured out is a USED ENGINE was installed, they fixed the A/C with what appears to be a used compressor. It does work good. My guess at this point is it went to a wrecking yard for the work & parts. Which can be OK. I bought several wrecking yard used engines that were better than the original.
Anyway we drove home 169 miles @ 75 MPH & it ran better than it ever has. We got 19.41 MPG. Oil pressure is 20 PSI @ idle 45 PSI @ 2500 RPMs (HOT). Water temp is running about 190 degrees all the time after warm up. The thermo opens when the gauge hits 210 degrees & drops to 190 degrees. So those numbers tell me it is OK. I see they installed a new cap & rotor. Oil is not showing any signs of getting dirty after 1000 miles I have put on it, oil is still clear & clean, same with tranny. I thought maybe they installed both together. It shift firm & at correct points. The other thing I got today was the Car Fax that was suppose to be in it before I bought it. It was good IMO. It is a one owner Arizona truck, it was in 2 minor accidents both were drive away, so fender benders not to serious, if they drove it away.
So we will drive it & do whatever we have to, to keep it in good shape. We like the truck it is clean & tight, doors solid, windows tight, no rattles or rust. rides great, & it is loaded, it is an LS with every option except sun roof, & CD, including power drivers seat, center roof console. So unless it just gives us fits it is a keeper I'm hoping.
Craig

Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran

Sounds awesome, congrats on having a solid blazer!!

Old 04-05-2008, 09:51 PM

We really like the Blazer. We liked our Trailblazer but were forced to sell it a couple of years ago. My wife really liked it & she wanted another small SUV 4x4. So we are praying it will give us years of good service without having to just pour tons money into it.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 PM
BF Veteran

If you take care of it , it will take care of you!! Thats my philosphy!!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:39 PM

I also believe that. I'm real fussy about my trucks & cars. I have a Ford F250 4x4, 460,C-6, with 187,000 miles on it I still use to pull our 32' travel trailer, my wife drives a 1993 Lumina with 237,000 miles on it. She commutes 100 miles a day in it. I worked as a mechanic until 1984. I always believed "preventive maintenance" was the key to long life. We just hope the bugs are worked out of our Blazer. After an engine is installed NEW or USED there always seem to be bugs that need to be found & fixed. I believe that is what we have been through. Now We're ready to use it trouble free for a while. I'm dumping the oil & filter just for my peace of mine in the morning. I will use 10-40 NAPA oil with a NAPA gold filter. We have summer coming and 100+ degree weather will be some be with us.
Craig

Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

what year trailblazer did ya have? I don't see too many like mine around......only the new ones, does that mean mine is crap?j/k Glad to hear yours is up and running good. It always sucks to have a problem, even if it's under warranty.....inconvenient

Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 AM

Mine was a 2004. The early Trailblazers were in name only on a Blazer platform, I'm not sure what if any options they had that was different than the 2nd gen Blazer. The Trailblazers of today are completely different trucks. including platforms. Which was introduced in 2002.

I HAVE A QUESTION. When I picked up our Blazer I started it OK it sat & idled for several minutes, I noticed a small drop in RPM like 100 RPMs when I put it in gear it & stepped on the throttle it hesitated then went or like a stumble. It was like stepping on the gas & nothing for a second, no RPM increase. It did it a couple of times then was fine the rest of the day. Today, I changed oil & filter and again when I started out to drive it did it again. I noticed if you floor it, it comes out of the hesitation. Every time it seems to be before it is fully warmed up except once today it died, but started right up & never did it again all day. There is NO ENGINE LIGHT. This afternoon I sprayed some cleaner into the TBI and let it soak for a few minutes before attemping to start it. It seemed maybe to help, but not sure. I also noticed with the A/C on it wasn't really doing it.
Sorry for the long post but any ideas would be appreciated greatly. It idles at 600 RPM. Other than that it runs great, 19.41 MPG @ 75 MPH isn't too bad. So it has to be something simple, or it would do it all the time. It never did it before I took it in to be worked on. But it never ran as good either. All I can see that was done was a cap & rotor. In regards to ENGINE LIGHT. Besides the A/C compressor and other issues I had.
Craig