General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hopefully be able to drive the Blazer again after tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hopefully be able to drive the Blazer again after tomorrow!

Well I posted a thread on here about this time last year about my transmission leaking fluid pretty bad. Up until this past week I have been busy with work(away from home) and buying a house but now finally I got some time to get cracking into it. It took me about a full day to get the transmission off and into my shed then a few days waiting for parts(which were in stock the whole time, they ordered the wrong part) and now today I spent about 5 hours and pretty much have everything back together with a new front seal in.

To all of you who ever offroad make sure you check the plugs in the bottom of the transmission...I don't even know if mine ever had them in but there's suppose to be 2 rubber plugs squished between the bellhousing/block and 2 caps for the round inspection holes at the bottom of the bellhousing. Sure enough I had 0/4 and when I took the transmission off the bellhousing and everything in it was covered in mud/grass/you name it.

Well hopefully this ends the leak and everything runs good tomorrow I just have to put the two driveshafts back on, connect the starter wires, hook up the shift linkage, and top off the fluid...just ran out of light tonight. There's a few other small things I want to do tomorrow too if the leak is fixed so that I can sell my 4Runner and put the Blazer back on the road. I will post back tomorrow night with results and if she's fixed or if the transmissions coming out again haha.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Starting Member

Heh, while I guess nobody was as excited as me. Today I got everything put back together and filled up and took her for a spin........NO LEAKS Gonna put some new leafspring bushings in tomorrow to fixed what I rigged up last year when I installed the shackles and then maybe work at cleaning up the frame. I'll try to get some pic's for your viewing pleasure.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Glad to see you got your truck up and running.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Starting Member

Well it was kind of a crappy day for weather so I didn't get much done. I managed to removed my "rigged" rear leafspring bushings and install the energy suspension set that I have had around for awhile. Then I fixed (read: ripped off) the driver side dust shield for the disc brakes because it kept grinding against the rotor on left hand turns. After that I helped my brother put a new wheel bearing in his cavalier to keep him happy.

I'll show you a few pics of what I had rigged up in the back of my leafsprings...now I know it was ghetto but I was in a rush last year and needed the truck/ the dealer gave me the wrong bushings(I think for the front because they were much larger) so I did what I had to do. I took the larger bushings they gave me and cut off the metal outer casing, then went to town on the rubber with an angle grinder lol. In the end the rubber sucked in on the inner metal sleeve leaving about a half inch gap on one end so I took some super strong urethane and squeezed it in to fill that gap on the one side. Honestly it looks worse then it was and it got the job done and didn't ride that bad, and I don't think it could have harmed anything because it was all sandwiched in the leafspring between each side of the shackle. Fixed now so flame on haha.

I still have to fix up my driver side rocker for sure(might do both depending if I do a factory style or 2x2 box tube or something), clean up the frame rails/wheel wells, possibly remove the side moldings and do all the trim down & bumpers in a bedliner, then fix an electrical gremlin with my rear window popper. Weather is suppose to be nice for the next few days so I will try and get that done and post a few more pics!

Attached Thumbnails Hopefully be able to drive the Blazer again after tomorrow!-100_1188.jpg   Hopefully be able to drive the Blazer again after tomorrow!-100_1186.jpg   Hopefully be able to drive the Blazer again after tomorrow!-100_1187.jpg