Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

2nd Generation Underbody

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default 2nd Generation Underbody

So looking through various posts using the search function....

I can see some rust on my frame... just surface rust.. but I want to get rid of it... So what should I do??

My thoughts were to get some jack stands... take a weekend and sand it down... spray some rust stopping paint and then cover that with a coat of flat black paint...
What should I mask and what should I remove?

Also I might be replacing the brakes so I will probably paint the calipers too....

I saw the first gen underbody paint job... looked amazing but didnt address the rust issue...

Old 08-14-2009, 07:39 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Surface rust can usually be sanded, as long as it isn't rotted through. I'm probably going to do the same thing sometime before school starts... it's an eye sore from far.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:47 AM
BF Veteran

So looks like the last weekend in august I might go pick up about 10 cans of rustoleum flat black... and some new rotors and brake pads... and maybe just go ahead and flush all the fluids... woot woot... Looking up guides and tips how to paint the underbody... can I just paint it all?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Beginning Member
bowtie lifer is on a distinguished road

The key to not wasting your money is adequate prep work. Degrease, wire brush, solvent wash, and a rubberized undercoat would be far better than rustoleum...

Old 08-16-2009, 01:22 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by bowtie lifer
The key to not wasting your money is adequate prep work. Degrease, wire brush, solvent wash, and a rubberized undercoat would be far better than rustoleum...
Now thats where a dilemma pops up... I have seen paint versus rubberized coating... paint = cheaper... check when cleaning.. and simply re apply.... undercoating has to be painstakenly applied or you cover essential nuts and bolts and ruin things.... atleast it was in another article I was reading...

Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Beginning Member
bowtie lifer is on a distinguished road

Not sure that I understand the "ruin things" part but unless you prep extremly well the etch prime everything the rustoleum is less than a chip away from flaking off. With any "rattle can" application a bit of care is called for as to not get it where you dont want it. What type of material is applied by your dealer or factory when ordered on a new vehicle? Just my opinion though, been painting cars for 20 some years now. Best of luck with the project.