General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hi from the UK, Buying advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010 | 01:26 PM
|
Lippyp is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from the UK, Buying advice needed

Hi guys,

My first post here and its a request really for some advice on buying a 4dr 4x4 2000ish blazer. I want to replace my current daily driver which is a 98 Isuzu Trroper with a 3.1 Turbo diesel engine. Its had loads of ****ling faults and tbh I've never really bonded with it unlike its predecessor which was a MK1 Trooper (I think you called them a Trooper II) with a 2.8 Turbo diesel, sadly that dissolved underneath to the point where it was like trying to weld a lace handkercief with a stick welder.

I quite like the look of the S10 based Blazers and really wanted some advice as to what to look out for when buying one, they were sold here in the UK for a while around that point as officially imported right hand drives so thers always a few up for sale. I need a 4dr 4x4 and want to know how reliable they are as I'm getting conflicting advice from a couple of other US websites, it seems opinions are pretty split as to wheter they are a good buy and reasonably tough or fragile and the worst thing GM ever made. I can live with the gas mileage as I don't do much mileage at the moment as I'm a full time stay at home dad/husband/cook/cleaner and general domestic god. I need to be able to tow about a ton and a half trailer occasionally, it might get the odd 900 mile each way trip down to my holiday home in France though so needs to be a comfortable freeway cruiser and with maybe the odd bit of mild of road action now and then as well as dealing with the snow we get where I live up in the Pennines.

Any advice as to what to look for welcomed, any pointers on common improvement/upgrades etc also welcome.

Oh and I'm not a virgin when it comes to US vehicles as my weekend toy is a '67 Chevy C10 long fleet with a 300 horse 350 under the hood. Would kinda be nice to have an bowtie fleet. I recognise one or two names from the 67-72 chevy truck website where I'm also a member.

Look forward to your replies.

Cheers
Phil

Old 11-30-2010 | 07:50 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I like mine. Ive had a few. I keep going back to them. Yes I have to fix them periodically, but I know that going into it. Parts are the cheapest for GM vehicles here. There is almost always what you are looking for in a junkyard also. There is alot of aftermarket stuff too. Im sure we all like them. And being in the UK, I guess you have a "more rare" 4x4 then than most poeple, which is a cool factor too.

Old 12-01-2010 | 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

There are quite a few UK members on this site. They pop up from time to time. From what I recall reading they were all pretty happy with their Blazers.

And as ohsofly says, having a RHD Blazer is really cool! AND we've got fender flares which they don't!

Old 12-01-2010 | 04:23 PM
Beginning Member
BLOND1WD is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you would be disappointed with a Blazer! Sure they need work now and then but all vehicles do. With proper maintenance, one should last you a good long time!

Old 01-06-2011 | 12:07 PM
|

How unusal is a 2001 4 door 4x4 LS with a 5 speed manual transmission? I thought all 4 doors came with an automatic tranny? Reason I ask is I've got a line on one that loks to be in good shape with a full dealer service history, 68K miles and an LPG (Propane) conversion.

http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/30/68451530.html

Also what am I missing spec wise with an LS over an LT?

Last edited by Lippyp; 01-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2011 | 09:51 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

I'd say go for it!
The recent snow we have had convinced me that I did the right thing - it went everywhere that many others vehicles couldn't!

I bought mine just over a year ago & I love it. Like you, i'm not entirely new to the American car scene having previously owned a 1984 Mercury Grand Marquis 302ci & a 1972 Lincoln Town car 460ci. This however is the first US car i've had with the steering wheel on the right! They're pretty rare too which makes them different from anything else on the road here.

I've had a few minor, yet annoying problems which, to be fair, could have occured with any vehicle that's 10 years old with nearly 80k on the clock. I have replaced a front wheel hub/bearing, replaced 4wd switch, replaced a couple of balljoints & replaced the front door hinge pins/bushings + regular maintenance such as oil/filter change etc. I had an intermittent misfire which I traced to a worn distributor cap so I changed it along with the rotor arm, plugs & wires. It cured the problem, distributor cap is a bitch to access but doesn't need touching very often which is just as well. I also had the rear windshield washer hose become detached under the back carpet which soaked the load space floor & took ages to dry out.
I also changed transmission & transfer case oil + oil in both differentials. I am an engineer by trade & have always been taught that oil is cheaper than bearings. Oh and heater performance was poor so had to flush cooling system repeatedly to get it to blow hot air. Use Comma G30 extreme antifreeze 50% mix which can be left in the system for up to 5 years. Dexcool is truly awful stuff, don't use it. My old coolant was like mud after having had it in there.
One important thing to check is the immobilser, make sure the fobs work correctly - European models HAVE to be unlocked with the fob to be able to start them - even then you only have 2 minutes to start the vehicle before the immobiliser re-arms itself. The ignition key DOES NOT have a coded insert in it like the US models have. If the fobs don't appear to work, check the battery in them, and clean the contacts under the rubber membrane if necessary & then re-synchronise them to the car by pressing the lock & unlock buttons together until the locks cycle on & off - this usually takes around 10 seconds. If you unlock with just the key the immobiliser remains armed & the engine will start then die after a couple seconds. If you lose or break the fobs then the only way to start the vehicle is to enter a 5 digit override code (should be supplied on a red card with vehicle) via a procedure using the foglight switch, this is listed in the handbook. If you don't have this code & you lose or break the fobs then the only way to obtain the code is to get the vehicle to Bauer Millett in Manchester, they are the only place in the UK with the software to interrogate the security system & obtain the code. Again - this is peculiar to the European models & not found on US ones.
UK Blazers also had an aftermarket alarm system fitted, made by Texalarm, on arrival in the UK. Many of these (including mine) were later removed because they sometimes caused trouble.
They stand up pretty well to corrosion too, panel thickness is pretty generous compared to many European & Japanese vehicles. Main place to look is the bottom inside edge of the dropdown tailgate, mine was just starting to bubble up there so I rubbed it down, repainted it with black smoothrite & sprayed waxoyl along there to keep the water out. Many panels are galvanized which help to keep the tinworm at bay. I spent a couple days steam cleaning & waxoyling the frame & brake lines as well, wasn't rusty but prevention is better than cure - trouble is the vehicle stank of it for days afterwards. I live in the middle of Devon up a mile long rough track so lots of mud is a way of life for me so I feel it is important to keep the corrosion at bay.!

5 speed manual models were sold here in LS trim but are hard to find. Main difference between LS & LT models are LT has leather interior, most LS models didn't. LT also had memory seats on some later models after around 2000. There may be other minor differences but not many. I believe some LT models also had a CD multichanger. Mine is a 1999 LT automatic.

Don't go to main GM dealer for parts (Bauer Millett in Manchester) unless you really have to, prices are crazy for even basic service items. I realise genuine parts are usually more expensive but what they charge is just ridiculous - sheer profiteering I think! Unfortunatley sometimes you have to bite the bullet for certain items that are unavailable elsewhere. Fortunately I go to the US on holiday every year so I get what I need whilst there if I can. I bought some washers for the hood hinges at a Chevy dealer in Pennsylvania last year to cure a rattle I had - a common problem. If you hear a loud knocking noise when going over bumps, don't assume it's the balljoints, checks the hood hinges 1st as the noise sounds similar.
I also use US Automotive in Bedford, they keep most parts in stock & what they don't keep they get very quickly. They got me a complete drivers side mirror from the US within a week when some ******* knocked mine off & broke it in a car park, all in all good people to deal with. I also recommend Mach5auto, they are based in the US but will ship anywhere at reasonable prices, I got 2 new oil cooler lines from them for £42 including shipping within a week. Bauer Millett wanted to charge £115 for the part alone - & they are in the UK!

I hope nothing i've said puts you off - just wanted to be honest with you with what to look out for in my experience. Basically I think they are pretty tough vehicles, especially mechanically. The 262ci V6 engine is tough - and there is no cam belt to worry about!
If there's anything else you need to know just ask - i'll be happy to help. I also have a factory manual on CD-ROM which covers the RHD models so can send wiring diagrams etc if you need them.

Last edited by DaveHearne; 01-08-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-08-2011 | 02:39 AM
|

Thats great info Dave especially the stuff on the alarm. Bauer Millet are about thirty minutes drive from me as I live up near Burnley but most of the routine work will get done by me. I use US automotive for parts for my pickup so know them well, Rockauto have also been reccomended to me for late model service stuff, also in the US but happy to ship to the UK. We have had a couple of UK spec Cherokees in the past an old square shaped on and then a brand new (Liberty in the US) shaped one so not my first Yank masquerading as a brit.

This is a manual LS model, first owner was Vauxhall so I'm guessing its an ex demonstrator, front hubs have just been done as has the handbrake. It does look to be a cloth interior which doesn't really bother me, there is actually a similar model with a leather interior in a breakers near me thats advertised on Ebay at the moment, I might have to see how much they want for the interior. I think the other major difference between an LS and LT apart from electric seats is climate control rather than just plain jane air con. Again not really an issue, apart from my last two cars all the rest I've owned in the last 27 years air con has involved opening the windows a smidge. We tend to use my wifes company car for most journeys as its (rarely in these days) fully expensed so this is just for me knocking around in, as I'm a house-husband and stay at home dad looking after my four year old twin boys. It might get the odd trip to our holiday home in France and will certainly get to drag my trailer around now and again full of crap to the tip, chasing parts etc.

I always tend to give a new car a full service and tune up after buying it anyway as even with a full service history its amazing how much stuff gets neglected. For the cost of a cap, rotor arm, leads and a set of plugs, a few filters and some oil its amazing the difference it makes, at least theres no cam belt to change as I'm guessing like my 350 its a timing chain.

Nothing you've said has put me off, where did you get the manual on CD from as that would be a handy thing to have. Is there a Haynes/Chilton manual that covers these as well or are they too young?

Not many for sale at the moment, the one I'm looking at has the lowest mileage I've seen in recent ads at 68K and sounds well looked after. Only little issues are a seat that doesn't adjust as much as it should and a slightly tempermental drivers window switch.

Thanks for all your info and keep in touch mate

Phil

This has a gas conversion on it already which is a bonus and a FSH

Old 01-08-2011 | 11:39 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Hi, I got the CD-ROM from a "friend of a friend" over in the US who works for GM, don't think i'm "officially" supposed to have it.
I have a spare Haynes manual you can have for free if you want. PM me your address some time & I will post it to you.
If you need any specific RHD info such as wiring diagrams etc I can scan files from the CD into a PDF file & email them to you anytime. Interestingly there is no info on the CD about the peculiar European security system - must be too top secret for us mere mortals to have? Lol. Of course it may be on a later updated version of the CD I suppose, mine dates from 2002.

All the best,
DAVE.

Old 01-20-2011 | 03:41 AM
|

Going up to have a look at the red one linked above, four door 4x4 LS with manual tranny. Three owners, 66K on the clock, full history and a big file of receipts/bills, had the hubs done last year and the handbrake rebuilt (E Brake)

Heres a couple of pics.

Old 01-20-2011 | 10:45 PM
Beginning Member
Manatee is on a distinguished road

Manufacturers offer different configurations in different markets. Four door Blazers were not available with stick shift in the US. Other "American" cars are sold overseas with diesels but not in the US. Some luxury cars are only available with leather seats in the US, but cloth seats are available in their home countries. You can see this by viewing web sites for the respective countries.

Quick Reply: Hi from the UK, Buying advice needed