General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Intake swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Smallblock88 is on a distinguished road
Default Intake swap

Good afternoon. New to the forum have a 94 fullsize blazer was curious about possible intake manifolds that would bolt up and put all the sensors back in place. Not reffering to the edlebrock tbi one either. Mean like a carb intake with the holley adapter plate?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

There's a number of aftermarket full aluminum intake manifolds that allow you to swap to a carb. Just good search "vortec 350 carb swap intake". My pop's did the same thing a while back when he built a later gen 454 to put in his 69 Nova.

Welcome to the forum

Old 02-07-2019, 11:15 AM
da67goatman is on a distinguished road

81+ factory quadrajet intakes have most if not all the sensor locations, that's the only one I know of.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:59 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Are you actually trying to swap to carb?

If so, why do you need all the sensors? The MAP sensor for instance is only used to adjust fuel delivery when fuel injected. I would think the only thing you would need on it is vacuum ports.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Are you actually trying to swap to carb?

If so, why do you need all the sensors? The MAP sensor for instance is only used to adjust fuel delivery when fuel injected. I would think the only thing you would need on it is vacuum ports.
thank you for responses and the welcome. Was just thinking if it was possible for better airflow with the intake with the tbi unit still. Not looking for a crazy project. I know the stock heads are trash was just curious about the intake.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I think that in order to put an earlier intake on later heads, you'll have to hog out the center bolt holes with a drill, since the angle isn't the same.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A
I think that in order to put an earlier intake on later heads, you'll have to hog out the center bolt holes with a drill, since the angle isn't the same.
thought that was on the later smallblock 96-99 vortec heads. Not the mid nineties boat anchor heads lol

Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smallblock88
thought that was on the later smallblock 96-99 vortec heads. Not the mid nineties boat anchor heads lol
You may be right. I don't know for sure.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is easy enough to look at what you have on there now though because who knows what has happened over the last 25 years that vehicle has been in use. If you have angled intake manifold bolts then any emissions ready SBC carb intake will work for your purposes and you can put the adapter plate to TBI on that matches whatever carb configuration the intake you choose has on it (2 barrel or 4 barrel).

I will say that the intake is typically one of the last things that is recommended for change on a TBI engine although it is often one of the first things people go for. There are other mods that can be done for less money and more power than swapping out the intake. Cam & some TB mods will net you the best bang for your buck. Swapping out what has been called GMs worst flowing cylinder head for Vortec heads will necessitate changing the intake (or at least modifying it), but has proven all over to be an easy +50hp mod.