Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

throttle body injected 350 cubic inch mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:25 AM
lil_blazin is on a distinguished road
Question throttle body injected 350 cubic inch mods

What can i do to my 350ci besides tb-spacer, headers, exhuast? I have been told that i can convert it to a carb and go about it that way but what top end parts can i add to a tbi setup?

Old 05-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Edelbrock makes an intake manifold for the TBI engines that works quite well. You can do a cam swap and then get into programming the ECU.

I have turned up quite a bit of information on custom burning your own chips for the ECU. When I get around to dropping in the L05 TBI 350 I have into my 74 K5, I am looking at getting a tunable ECU so that I can tune on the fly without having to burn chips.

Lots of information on TBI motors can be found at thirdgen.org. THIS ARTICLE is a good read.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Well im not great with programming so i want to avoid it as much as possible lol but i do like the idea of looking into edelbrock lol blonde moment i dont know why i didnt look there i dont want to swap my tbi for a carb because ive heard carbs have problems with flooding at some angles and i imagine a fuel injection system will not...i may be wrong i am just looking into doing mild mods for now as well so manifolds and what not that wont seriously drain the wallet are perfect!

My friend has a aluminum intake he said i could have but that would involve swapping to a carb would these be smart to do, and how dificult is it?

Last edited by rriddle3; 05-03-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 05-03-2009, 11:46 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the edelbrock intake and if I was to d oit all over again I would buy a carbed intake and use a carb to tbi adapter plate for the simple reason of cost also if you ever wanted to try a carb you could.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Starting Member
Johns1987Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ You would have to get a distributor with vacuum advance also. The electronic one on there now would not advance or retard timing correctly. part number 30-1895 (cardone) through advance auto parts.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:06 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

If you want to make serious hp and torque with a TB 350 in a four wheel drive, then get yourself a pair of aluminum heads set up to perform from idle through 5000 rpm. Edelbrock "performer" heads make an excellent choice but there are others as well. Top them off with a "performer" intake, cam shaft and roller rockers. Be sure to port match the intake and exhaust manifolds. Don't forget about a free flowing exhaust system, "super coil", and synthetic fluids.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Johns1987Blazer
^^^ You would have to get a distributor with vacuum advance also. The electronic one on there now would not advance or retard timing correctly. part number 30-1895 (cardone) through advance auto parts.
If you are using tbi you need the computer controlled distributor the vacuum advance won't work

Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The vacuum advance distributor will always work provided it gets hooked up to a good manifold vacuum source. The ECU will not like it without the computer controlled distributor though.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:14 AM

i was gonna buy a set of heads and an edelbrock top end kit for it where will that put me for numbers roughly? I was told the motor was rebuild 60,000 km ago so i dont wanna go about pulling all these parts out.