General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

May Have to sell her.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road
Default May Have to sell her.

Running into reoccurring problems with my Z.
Heater Core and Radiator went out, replaced the Rad. and bypassed the Heater Core. Now that its middle of December not having heat kinda sucks. Well, when I got the Rad. replaced (about 16 months ago) they said previous owner didnt flush the coolants. which has left rusty gunk in my engine that is impossible to get out. (this is what is believed to lead to the Heater core leak) Well the 16 month old Rad. has another leak and additionally the cap wont seal (Ive bought multiple replacements) I have big plans for the Blazer (body lift and Cowl hood which are both already bought) but I cant keep sinking money into a bad engine. It just hasnt been the reliable vehicle that I need.

Breaks my heart thinking about selling but I dont think I have any other choice.

Any suggestions?
I LOVE MY BLAZER

Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

get a new motor from a junk yard.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I second that...will be cheaper then car payments.
that is my backup plan.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yep. with the issues you wont get nothing for her....so think of it this way.....you'll end up spending a coupla grand for another ride....well.....instead just buy a NEW crate engine for less then 2k,have it put in,then replace the core and rad(rad SHOULD have a lifetime warranty if you got it new). so there u go a reliable warm blazer.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

or when you get an engine from the scrap yard, rebuild it the way you want. Lots of things can be done to make a 4.3 a reliable 300hp DD, or just have it rebuilt with all the right things replaced, reworked etc. Hell if I wasn't into mine for more money than I can say, I'd get it from you & do just that. But I already have my DD so I'd just pull the engine & take my time rebuilding it.

If you can find a loaner for a few months then go that way. Drive the loaner while yours is being rebuilt or rebuilding it yourself - no pressure either way. And if you have a shop do it for you they will come down in price when they don't have an immediate deadline.

I know how hard it is to sell something you have so much time, effort & money invested. I'm on my 2nd engine & still have an odd click in it. But with all what I've put into it if I sold it now I'd lose HUGE money (unless I found someone with more money than brains).
All the little things that make it yours come into ... emotions really. From interior LED's to lifting it, tires, rims, care & washing to ... who knows what you've done. It's a hard thing to contemplate for sure.

Sleep on it, think about the possibilities of a friend or family member with a loaner for a few months & look around & see what fits your budget for rebuilding it & keeping your ZR2 in the family.

Last edited by Rottidog; 12-28-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

One thing I'd LOVE to do is take the engine out of my Jimmy and rebuild the whole thing to my specifications. I just need to be able to afford all the parts and another car for a while...It's a dream in the works I guess.