General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Is My 76 Blazer a STOLEN VEHICLE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Beginning Member
buildamudder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is My 76 Blazer a STOLEN VEHICLE?

Just bought a 1976 Blazer. This was a 90% complete Frame-Off restoration. Everything has been sanblasted and fresh paint.

O.K. I live in Ohio and the snow on the truck was a foot deep. (Which was outside storage at a body shop). I never noticed that the VIN tag on the dash was missing and no glove box. So how do I legally register this truck in Ohio?

Are there other locations I can look on the vehicle for vin #'s
Not on dash
Not in door jam
No glove compartment.

Does anyone have any suggestions or did I just get screwed?
I refused to take the truck off of their lot until I can prove the title is for this truck.

What should I do?

[IMG]local://upfiles/13101/956ADFB11AA34D2895DF23E43B02E6C3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Is My 76 Blazer a STOLEN VEHICLE?

there are con-numbers (partial VINs) throughout the vehicle just for this scenario. Call up your local PD and ask if they can get a VIN off the truck since the plate and dash have been removed, but they'll probably say no.

So...look online, or hopefully someone will post here....with the locations of the con numbers.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

some cars have another sticker somewhere in the back with the vin on it.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Why would someone remove the vin tag? You could make your own vin tag and rivet into the factory location. I would be pretty suspicious of the vehicles history. Just to c y a, maybe you should ask a local authority to come out and have a look to prove the vehicle is or isnt stolen. Better to have it confiscated now than after you dump a bunch of time and money into it.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Beginning Member
buildamudder is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why someone would remove the vin tag. I'm guessing it was during the restore for painting purposes. The whole dash was removed and the entire body was painted Barney Purple. I think the guy was going all-out. Everything on the body, frame and chassis was sand blasted and painted. The 350 motor was bored 40-over rebuilt and painted and the drivetrain looks literally brand new. I makes me wonder what happened during the process of the restore. Maybe he didn't pay his bill for all the work done and the body shop took the vin? No clue. I'm just afraid to take it from the storage facility it's at until I know if it's legal. If I bring it to my house and there is no tag on it, I might get spanked by my city or police. I don't think I could even bring it here to part-it out just to try and get my money back.

I did find an 87 k-5 locally with a blown motor for $400. I suppose I could pick that up and swap in the dash and vin (being that this one needs a dash anyway).

As for a partial vin on the truck...I'm going to go there today and check the firewall and frame. Maybe I can find something stamped on it.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The VIN tag is located on the left door pillar on these models. Not in the dash. If the original VIN tag is no longer there, you can have the local authorities verify the VIN through the CONVINs located throughout the vehicle. Then you should be able to get a stated issued VIN tag to put back in the original location.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:57 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The VIN tag is located on the left door pillar on these models. Not in the dash. If the original VIN tag is no longer there, you can have the local authorities verify the VIN through the CONVINs located throughout the vehicle. Then you should be able to get a stated issued VIN tag to put back in the original location.
I've owned at least 10 73-87 chevy trucks including K5's and the vin is always been riveted to the dashon right next to the windsheilddrivers side. Also my dad is a chevy dealer and I have never seen a chevy truck or any other north american vehiclethat didn't have the vin in that location.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I guess I should have said I do not see it on my truck either. At least it is not visible with the dash cover on. There may be another tag underneith there somewhere, but the official vehicle identification tag was in the driver door pillar.