General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Need Advice on which K5 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:36 PM
sgtcoyote is on a distinguished road
Default Need Advice on which K5 Blazer

Hi guys, newbie to Blazers but I have owned a few Jeeps. I am looking into getting a K5 Blazer for my next project vehicle. I want to build something road worthy but needs to perform offroad for hunting purposes. So 4x4 and around 37 inch tires is what I had in mind. I need your expertise. Basically, if you knew then what your know now, what would you have bought instead and why. Of course sticking with 2-door Blazers. I'm looking for year of vehicle, engine/tranny setup, carb/tbi, etc. What would be the perfect K5 Blazer to go out and buy for a project and why? Thanks for you time.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have already decided on the K5, there really isn't much between the years other than the engine (carb or TBI) and full (73-75 for the 2nd gens) or half (76-91) convertibles.

If you are going to have to climb some steep grades and/or want to just be able to jump in and drive, TBI is likely the way to go (88+ or 87+, can't remember off the top of my head).

To run 37's and expect to use (abuse) the vehicle, you will want to invest in 1 ton running gear right off the bat. The stock 1/2-ton stuff just doesn't get along too well with large tires (33+) and offroad use/abuse. Ball joints & steering components get chewed up when running large tires.

I am pulling parts together for 1-ton axles and a TBI motor for my '74. I have already run into problems with the carb setup and steep grades. Sure, a truck avenger carb would likely cure the steep grades problem, but I am looking forward to playing around with tuning on the TBI setup. My stock Q-jet works very well, but doesn't get along with steep grades. I can pretty much jump in and drive, but often run into a problem with the choke not pulling off quick enough which I can solve whenever I stop procrastinating by putting on an electronic or manual choke (I have the parts for either).

Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
sgtcoyote is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply and I agree with you and probably will go with a TBI. I would rather go ahead and get the TBI now instead of swapping out at a later date. The 1 ton axles I had already been aware of and I realize that only half ton gear came on factory K5s (am I wrong?). Definately going with the 14BFF/D60 setup.

What engine/tranny setup does everyone like? I have heard of the 350 and some swapping in the 454. I am not an engine guy but looking to learn alot on this project. How about the tranny--700R? What year did those show up in the K5? Thanks guys!

Old 02-27-2011, 08:12 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i think the 700r4 showed up around the early 80s. the th400 is the strongest trans but doesnt have overdrive and the only k5 blazers i ever seen them in is the diesels. and yeah they only came with half ton axles. some of the 70s ones came with a 12 bolt rear and dana 44 front which is basically the same thing as 10 bolts which come in the later ones.

so basically as swartlkk said they are pretty much all the same through out the years. when i always looked for a k5 the main thing i wanted was floors, these trucks rust pretty good