General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Need heavy shed move ideas DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough
Default Need heavy shed move ideas DIY

With a wide range of people on here I am looking for ideas to do a move on the cheap
Long story short , can get a smoking deal on a heavy duty shed
A shed thats already assembled and I need some ideas on how to get it behind my garage
It is vinyl sided so disassembly isnt really an option

I plan on getting it dropped onto my driveway with a flat bed wrecker
It is on three 4X4 ski's , running front to back

My idea is rolling it on 8ft wooden fence posts
When I get to the lawn , laying down some 2X6 to roll on to prevent the fence post from sinking into the lawn

I got a quote to lift it over the garage with a crane , $400 -$500
I can get back there with my compact 4X4 but theres no way the wrecker can get in

Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

I've rolled many heavy objects with pipe as rollers useing 2x's to keep from sinking into ground.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:20 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

how big is the shed. if its wider then 10 feet you might have a issue with it being a over sized load. new vinyl sheds arent that expensive as im looking into ones now, i see some on craigslist and thats what detours me from buying them i think how in the heck do you move these things

also shouldnt vinyl be easier to take down then a wooden one? i thought they came in just big pieces that snap together but could be wrong

we had a 10x9 shed on our property we had to take down due to building a garage, i tried to take it apart and it was so well built there was no way

Old 05-11-2014, 07:42 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

^ this is a lumber constructed shed , plank floor
It is vinyl sided on top of plywood sheeting
Asphalt shingles and all

I went by today with my brother inlaw to take another look
I couldnt even budge a corner trying to lift it by hand but didnt actually expect to either

The "plastic sheds" are a good idea in theory however when you read the fine print the manufacturer usually wants you to support the center ridge if its going to see snow to help carry the load
They tend to loose doors in wind storms as well
Anything I build myself would need a really good floor to support my motorcycle in winter

Last edited by rexazz2; 05-11-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Rolling her on the round fenceposts is the way I would do it. Get a few buddies, some beers, and drink up until the shed is where you want it.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

my old boss borrowed my car trailer a few years back to pick up a 10x10 shed and somehow managed to jack it up like 3 feet in the air side by side and stacking railroad ties under it to get it onto the trailer. my trailer actually has rails that sit above the tires that sit about 3 feet high, i wasnt there but seen it on my trailer. said it took about 3 guys 3 hours then he just drove underneath it.

they actually ended up pulling it off the trailer with a truck with the trailer ramps on it and it just slid right off. left the winch attached encase it took off which it didnt.

take pictures if you do this would be kinda cool to see how you move it.

i was checking out the rubbermaid sheds due to the fact that im just under allowed sq footage for out door buildings on my property. so figured if i get in trouble for having another shed i could easily just take that down or sell it. i think i might just build a wood one but make it so it could come apart, like put lag bolts on all the corners instead of nails

good luck