General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:57 AM
vadatara2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some advice

I have a poser for the forum. I have worked quite a bit on GM products back in the late 60s, early 70s, where I used to run a Nova atthe drags at Orange Co. InternationalRaceway consequently I know where to change the oil etc on these newer ones..
I recently took my 04 Blazer to the dealerwhere I had purchased it as the SES light was on and it needed a state inspection. The computer said it was the purge solinoid. After 3 hours the service manager comes out and tells me while doing an inspection they discovered the main oil seal was leaking but my extended warrenty would cover the cost. Took the junk rental car home and the next day was told my vehicle was ready. The bill---$867.00 of which I had to pay $21.00. Anyway, after climbing under the vehicle I can see no sign that the tranny had been removed (still dirty, mud etc. all over it) . Is there some magic process where a main sealcan be replaced without removing the tranny now adays??I'm not sure if I want to call the warrenty company or maybe just goback to the daeler, explain what I have found and possibly see what a deal I can get on a new Chevy???

Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need some advice

ahahahahahahahahaha.....

Old 05-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it was the rear main seal, there should be some definite signs that things were split. Well, unless they went mudding with your truck after the repair...

Is it possible that they replaced the front main seal? That shouldn't have cost anywhere near that amount of money to replace though...

I would definitely bring it to the service managers attention. What were the part numbers for the replaced components?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:37 PM
vadatara2 is an unknown quantity at this point

The part number in question is 89018163 Seal Kit -0.137. Part cost $25.33. Labor $571.13
I believe now what had happened is that I had changed the oil in the thing just before taking it to them. I had slopped some oil down the rear and over the bellhousing. The apparently thought it was the rear main leaking but I would think that once they discovered their mistake they would have just admitted it. HA!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

DAAAAMMMMNN!! They figured that they'd get over on you and the warranty!!!I'd be pretty upset...even if it was only $21, hey, that's like 2 gallons of gas!!!<-----exageration) I wouldn't let them get over that easy.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

With the right tools and a good tech, you may not notice the work.
About the only palce to tell for sure would be the bolts. The tranny cooler lines are quick clips now.

If the seal does go out, it should be covered under a new warrenty.