General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

new member, not quite owner....yet

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:07 PM
sshotick is on a distinguished road
Default new member, not quite owner....yet

Hi all, I'm currently a Grand Am driver and its fading fast, so I've begun looking into new cars and the Blazer seems to be one i keep coming back to, probably in the 2000-2005 range. I found--long ago--the grandamgt.com forum and its been a lifesaver for all the problems with that car and started looking for a similar forum for the Blazer, and voila, landed here.

so anyway, as I said I'm considering the Blazer, but all the trouble with my current 2000 GM product has me kind of leery of another one from that era. I've read the reviews of the era Blazers I've been looking at, but they were written when they were the new models, and now that they've been on the road for a few years, I was wondering what the general consensus of them is around here. I've read about the fuel pump issues, but any other majors? For instance, there isn't a GAGT owner around who hasn't had to do the LIM gasket ($$$) at least once...mine is on its 3rd in the 6 years I've had it, and it was 5 years old when i got it. If I had found forum before I was thinking about the Grand Am, I probably would have run away from the deal, and trying not to get burned like that again.

So unleash it on me, how are they?

Oh, and I'd most likely get a 4DR and being Ohio in the winter, 4WD would be nice, but not a must. I have had some experience with the S-type frames from GM, i did have a 1995 S-10 4cyl about 10 years ago and although it had its share of problems, looking back now, nothing compared to the car I'm in now.

Thanks,
Sam

Old 12-19-2010, 06:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You could begin by reading through this thread:
A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:13 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

Blazer For the Win!!..... BTW welcome to the forums!

Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

welcome to the show.

like Rich said, take a read though the link he posted, it'll give you an idea of what could possibly be an issue.

personally, i've owned 1/2 dozen 1st gens & never had any issues with them. this is my 1st 2nd gen, and after having it for just over 2 years now, and putting over 70K on the clock (had 158K when i bought it from the original owner) i only ever had 1 issue, and not even a major one @ that. seems the factory put the distributor in wrong, it was out 15*. simple fix, and has run like a champ since i found out the source of the issue it created.

knock on wood, i've never had to do LIM gaskets or the heater core. just make sure you clean out the coolant when you get it. (my original owner never changed the coolant. ever!)

run good clean oil in 'er, use AC Delco plugs, and she'll go for ever. just watch for the typical rot in the firewall seam (engine bay) and the kick panel area. rockers are a given on any vehicle that's more than 7 years old, so give those a check as well.

GL, be sure to keep us informed.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:54 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

WOW Chris... you are truely Wise Beyond Your Beers lol <--- stay away from that spit inducing keystone
I agree with all you said, rockers on ANY 4x4 are a given just because of the abuse they'll take, good oil - changed regularily, all fluids at recommended intervals & Declos all the way. You are lucky if you've only had minor fixes. Mine too, nothing REALLY wrong, but the oil pressure sending unit went kaplooey, front wheel bearings (normal chit) & the cv boots (because of the TB twist I'd assume).

Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 AM
sshotick is on a distinguished road

one more thing i thought of, and it goes for all GM cars from this era really....the dexcool coolant, has it caused as many issues with the Blazer engine as with other smaller engines? its one thing that caused me with the current car to say i wouldnt buy a GM from that era again, but remembering back, my 95 S-10 never had an issue with it, and neither did our 2000 Venture...so maybe something that affects the smaller engines more, who knows.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

Welcome

Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sshotick
one more thing i thought of, and it goes for all GM cars from this era really....the dexcool coolant, has it caused as many issues with the Blazer engine as with other smaller engines? its one thing that caused me with the current car to say i wouldnt buy a GM from that era again, but remembering back, my 95 S-10 never had an issue with it, and neither did our 2000 Venture...so maybe something that affects the smaller engines more, who knows.
Welcome to the forum.

You might want to read up on the whole dexcool thing. The coolant isn't really the issue, but rather the gaskets and specifically the frame around the sealing areas which doesn't get along with the water part of the coolant! Use the revised aluminum framed gaskets in any of those GM engines with problematic LIM gaskets (which does include the 4.3L V6) and watch the problem go away (provided the gaskets were installed properly)!