General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Is it possible to tow a 4dr blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:40 PM
megtom2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible to tow a 4dr blazer?

I have a 1995 4dr 4wd blazer and have not been able to find out if I can tow it with all four wheels on the ground behind our motorhome. Thanks

Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Is it possible to tow a 4dr blazer?

I've always heard that it is best to not tow a 4wd with all 4 wheels on the ground. So long as the front axle is disengaged, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, the problem comes with the rear driveshaft and the transfercase in neutral. Without the transfercase being driven (ie. engine driving the truck), lubrication will not be proper and may result in premature bearing failure in the transfer case. One way around this would be to disconnect the rear driveshaft. But if you do this, make sure that you use wheel chocks to secure the truck when you unhook from your motor home. Also, you'll want something to secure the u-joint cups to the driveshaft as well as secure the driveshaft to the underside of the truck to ensure that it won't fall out of the transfercase.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:24 PM
megtom2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Extensive googling has pretty much told me to think about getting another vehicle to tow. Oh well, it would have been nice to use our good old Blazer.
The thought of unhooking without chocks and with the drive shaft unhooked made my stomach turn. lol

Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

From the owner's manual:
"If your vehicle has four-wheel-drive it cannot be dinghy towed (towing your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground). A four-wheel-drive vehicle must be towed by flatbed."
"If your vehicle has four-wheel-drive it cannot be dolly towed (towing your vehicle with two wheels on the ground and two wheels up on a device known
as a “dolly”).
A four
-wheel-drive vehicle must be towed by flatbed."