General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Roof lights finally hooked up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 AM
SDimeBlazerlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Roof lights finally hooked up.

Gee Beav all them cool lights..i wanna put a ralley bar on my Honda and add a few...and maybe a bar up near my sunroof lol... Just kiddin,but i need a set of landing lights on my Accord lol..Makes me want another Blazer Reaaaaaaaaally bad lol[8D]

Old 04-24-2008, 01:29 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Sounds like New Zealand has the same rules as Canada.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:13 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Zasder

I have 4 ~2 100watt and ~2 130 watt...plus a 750 watt amp

I can run all of them at idle, and my alt is perfectly fine. Of coruse...its brand new cuz i blew up the last one but thats a dif story!
500 watts is a pretty big drain on the stock alternator, at idle...

If I leave it sit for a few minutes my volt meter gets lower and lower and lower.... Doesn't seem to drop to less than 10 volts, though

Old 04-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

how dou you hook them into your high beams?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

They tap into the power wire for the highs, so the roof lights only have power when the highs have power. You can simply avoid tapping that wire, and connect to continous power at the battery to have them on any time you choose.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Starting Member
sasquatchfound is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: kiwiblazer

I've now got my roof lights all working. Just a bit of tidying up to do in respect of the roof terminal box & connecting through the high beams to comply with legal requirements.
Oic's attached. I could only move the truck back 12 metres but it still looks good.

1. Low Beams
2. High beams
3.Hi + inner lights
4. Hi + outer lights
5. Hi + ALL 4 lights
I have a couple questions: first can you post a close up pic of how you have the roof lights mounted? second, if i wire my bull bar lights and roof lights to the high beams and just have a switch running to the roof lights would that work?

Thanks, Shane

Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Starting Member
sasquatchfound is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: willjones

Am I going to have to run them through the high beams? I wanted them on a seperate switch.

I was wondering if you would be so kind in posting some close up picks of your roof rack with specs? I have a buddy that is good at making stuff like that but he needs a basic idea of what i want and i really like your's.

Thanks, Shane

Old 05-01-2008, 04:53 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Hi Shane,

Check out my pictures on
photobucket.com albums kiwiblazer(sorry I tried to get the link but don't couldn't get it to work here).

When I set up my lights I wanted them as far forward on the roof as I could get them without compromising the use of the existing roof rack. A friend gave me a set of aftermarket roof racks & I made up a pair of mounting platesfrom 1/4" aluminium plate & shaped this to fit onto the front mount or feet of the roof rack. As you will see on thepictures, the shape was determined by the shape of the new roof rail & the opening in the existing roof rail foot & also to align this with the front of the existing setup. I made a plastic template to ensure it fits & looks right before I cut the ali.

The rest of the pics should be self explanetary. I mounted a junction box on the roof in case I wanted to remove the lights for whatever reason later on.

Because the light rail was hollow & of a decent size, I was able to conceal all the wires, coming out at the end on the right side. (drivers side). I drilled through the roof & fed the wires into the channel above the drivers door, down the "A" pillar & into the dash where I mounted the switches on the dome light switch panel. At the moment the lights are not wired through the high beams but that will be done. Power is fed directly from the battery.

Hope this helps.