General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Snow plow for 94 S15?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road
Default Snow plow for 94 S15?

Hey guys, well winter is almost here so I was thinking of getting a snow plow for my 1994 S15 Jimmy. Any good ones? Anything I should be careful about? And lastly... does anybody here plow snow with a 1st gen s15/s10?

I thought I'd throw in this picture of my truck... yeah I know the grill guard is probably in the way if I were to get a plow.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 PM
NewFirstGen is on a distinguished road

I would look for the straight lexan plows for it. (Fiberglass looking blade) in about 7 to 7.5 foot.will be the lightest weight.
If you find one and want to get rid of the brushguard let me know, need one for my 92 blazer.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Just be aware that plowing is extremely hard on vehicles. Especially with an smaller engine like the 4.3. You can expect if you're going to plow with your Blazer that it will be rough on your engine.
With that said, it's not unheard of to have a Blazer used as a plow truck. I've seen several around town here that have plows. Just be aware if it's your only vehicle and it's your DD that it's hard on the truck.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Starting Member
musclecar70sfan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
Just be aware that plowing is extremely hard on vehicles. Especially with an smaller engine like the 4.3. You can expect if you're going to plow with your Blazer that it will be rough on your engine.
With that said, it's not unheard of to have a Blazer used as a plow truck. I've seen several around town here that have plows. Just be aware if it's your only vehicle and it's your DD that it's hard on the truck.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. My biggest concern is the transmission since when plowing you're constantly going back and forth. Also, my tranny's 1-2 shift is pretty hard especially under heavy throttle. It's also a little slow to engage when I move the shifter... takes up to a full second sometimes. It was flushed last winter though which seemed to have helped a little.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
no joke, but a friend of mine used his '93 Exploder (with the 3.0L in it) to plow with for 4 seasons, and the only reason he got rid of it.......was his mother-in-law is OPP, and told him, "it's gonna get pulled off the road one day".

he had one of those Wal-Mart Snow Bear plows on it, and actually like to use that thing more than his '84 Silverado 3/4 ton HD (pretty much a 1 ton in disguise). while it wouldn't push as much as the Silverado (he has a 1000lb blade on it), it would still do about 2/3 the load, and about 1/3 of the fuel!

but i did replace the trans in it before the 2nd Winter (original trans w/289K on it). i think our fellow member BlazzingSaddles is doing the same thing as you're planning, at least i remember talking with him about 5 spd's and plowing, and swapping to auto, or something like that.

anyways, as ling as you remember-and respect-that the truck you're using isn't a full size, 3/4 ton work truck, you should fair well.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I'm sure that Meyer makes one. My old boss had one onhis late model toy landcruiser. Not sure how long it held up but it was great for getting into tight parking lots and drive throughs.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigkhans
I'm sure that Meyer makes one. My old boss had one onhis late model toy landcruiser. Not sure how long it held up but it was great for getting into tight parking lots and drive throughs.
Meyer's make the heaviest plows out there, that's why they're around for ever. the one draw back Meyer's has, is that their pumps are particularlly finiky. they really prefer their brand of fluid, since they don't take kindly to any moisture getting into their systems (not that any of them would).

unless you're doing this for a business-wait, my buddy with the Exploder used his for his plow business. you know, other than the strap on the winch breaking (at the end of the 2nd Winter in use), he never had an issue with that system he bought @ Wal-Mart. plus it was super light (compared to the full size systems), and easily removable when not needed.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Starting Member
bobpage is on a distinguished road
Question Considering getting me a SnowSport Snow Plow

I read some good reviews on their website, and I am wondering if anyone have any experience with them? Looks like their plow are more lightweight and easier to handle than some of the other snow plows out there? I am about to buy my first snow plow to be prepared for the winter, and I am looking for some advice?
Here is a link to the one I was looking at:
http://www.buysnowsportplows.com/pro...ws/snowsporthd

Also, would it be less wear and tear on my Blazer if I got a reversible plow for the back instead of the front?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Wal mart snow bear plows FTMFW!!! Plowed with the jimmy 2 years ago, the ZR2 last year.