Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Snow plow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 PM
talon2g is on a distinguished road
Default Snow plow?

Hey all, i know this has been covered tons of times before, but the search feature here isn't all that thorough or I just dont know how to use it fully lol.

Anyway, i'm interested in setting up my Jimmy for plowing this winter. Not going to go overboard and use it as a contracting type of plowing, but for personal and family usage. Both my mom and gf have semi long driveways with no one to plow them, so i figure I could do it with my GMC. ive seen videos on out trucks that seem to work great. I am trying to put together a list of things I need to get for the set up. I have seen a lot of different kits for them, but ive seen a smaller 5 foot plow for sale a block from my house for $300, so my question is, where could I find just the mounting gear for it? like the front end electrical or hydraulic lifting/angling and the front frame mount. Anyone on here have any experience with these?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to say man I wouldnt put a plow on a DD. Your just going to wear the front end and screw up the truck within a few years... IF you do Dont go to big....

But thats just my opinion.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Starting Member
Jase1979 is on a distinguished road

I have plowed with the S10 and the blazer and they work very well, so long as your not overworking the truck, as far as a plow I live in NS Canada and the only plow I would recommend is a Fisher Light duty 6' Composite blade any more and you will cause more damage to the truck then necessary, not sure if that brand is in your area or not.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 AM

Ive seen different types of composite blades that companies offer. I guess i might as well spring the $$$ for it if thats all the GMC can handle safely. Thats the main concern here is safety. i'm not going to be plowing blizzard like snow-drifts or anything, just want to be able to clear 6-7 inches if it does come this year.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

put the plow on your talon...
I would not put the plow on my DD.. unless it was a half ton PU.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

The low speeds & possible high temps with the forward & reverse shifting is hard on a vehicle. But if it's only the odd time you get snowed in & you have a light blade for it, a few times a year shouldn't be bad. But I'd invest in a trans cooler for sure. Something like a B&M Super Cooler or what Capt. suggests when he chimes in lol. He knows of a brand (escapes me right now) that has a stacked plate design like a B&M. B&M's also have a by-pass feature that'll allow the fluid (trans or engine oil) to by-pass it when the fluid is cold so you don't over cool the fluid.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Ive plowed with my 2002 Jimmy, 98 ZR2, and will be with my 01 blazer this winter. I use a snowbear plow. Has an electric winch and is a great personal plow.

I have electric fans, and a big trans cooler. I find they are a must. These truck over heat quick when driving down the road with a plow.

And just make sure you stop, switch gears, then go once its all the way in D or R. Lots of plow drivers blow tranny's from throwing it in D from R or vice versa and going BEFORE the transmission has actually shifted.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM

lol... tranny drop. dumbasses. lol