General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Squeeking from the back just like a cricket

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Starting Member
Bolbol is on a distinguished road
Default Squeeking from the back just like a cricket

Not sure if this is the perfect place for this post but didnt want to put this in the gen maintenance.
I have a 01 4x4 blazer and the back is two piece. The glass goes up and the bottom part down. I am not sure which part is responsible but sometimes there is this very very annoying squeeky sound coming from the back. It always occurs when going over bumps but sometimes it just goes on and on while driving. I am hoping someone has had a similar problem before and can let me know whats causing this. I am not sure how to find the problem..

Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

"I am hoping someone has had a similar problem"

Oh have we ever had a similar problem, people have found many different ways to fix this.

Anywhere from lubing the hinges on the glass side to adjusting the striker on the tail gate part that the window latches onto to hold it tighter, to putting electrical tape on the latch loop on the window side of the latch.

I did both adjusting the latch on the gate side and lubed the hinges and that worked for me.

some people have found that the electrical tape on the window side of the latch works best.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

^^ What he said. ^^ I had a very similar issue.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:35 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Root cause is worn bushings for the spare tire carrier, which causes the carrier to drop down at the latch. You can adjust the latch mechanism and rubber stops on the carrier, and that will quiet it down for a while, until the bushings wear more.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Root cause is worn bushings for the spare tire carrier, which causes the carrier to drop down at the latch. You can adjust the latch mechanism and rubber stops on the carrier, and that will quiet it down for a while, until the bushings wear more.
Our previous blazer had the spare tire carrier and it did this, then we got the jimmy and it also did it when we first got it, and it does not have the spare tire carrier.

But yes, if you have the spare tire carrier, definitely the bushings.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member
prkrgrp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bolbol
Not sure if this is the perfect place for this post but didnt want to put this in the gen maintenance.
I have a 01 4x4 blazer and the back is two piece. The glass goes up and the bottom part down. I am not sure which part is responsible but sometimes there is this very very annoying squeeky sound coming from the back. It always occurs when going over bumps but sometimes it just goes on and on while driving. I am hoping someone has had a similar problem before and can let me know whats causing this. I am not sure how to find the problem..
wipe the rubber seal and the edge of the glass clean then spray the rubber with wd-40 let it sit for about 5 min then take a rag and lightly rub the rubber seal this will stop the noise for about 45 days.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Starting Member

I did that and it was completely quiet for 2 weeks now I can hear it coming again sometimes but its way better. My freeway rides are enjoyable now.
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member
prkrgrp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bolbol
I did that and it was completely quiet for 2 weeks now I can hear it coming again sometimes but its way better. My freeway rides are enjoyable now.
Thanks!
keep at it it will get better as the seal tends to dry out, also you may have a old window latch piston arm that is moving when driving that allows the glass to slide across the seal.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Starting Member
stevea102 is on a distinguished road

I cured my chirp by putting gorilla tape on the metal piece on the glass that the latch catches

Old 09-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Starting Member

Thats a good idea. My doors recently started doing that too tho... u know where the lock goes in? That metal from the body that holds the black piece of metal has cracked so I gotta get that welded on good...