General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

threw on a set of silverstars today

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 AM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default threw on a set of silverstars today

got a set for $37 bucks, changed them real quick when i changed out the fog light bulb.

Are they really THAT much better than stock? Its not dark here, so i can't see for myself yet. I just thought the pics on their website looked to good to be true.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: threw on a set of silverstars today

i didnt find them that much brighter, maybe a little. I don't use silverstars anymore cause i had one burn out after about a month. . don't know what the ultras are like.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:33 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I have never used the ultras before. But I have used Silverstars in 3 vehicles plus my dad and brothers vehicles, for a total of 5 vehicles. I think they are great over stock. You don't get that yellow halogeon look. You get a much crisper, slightly brighter white light. They really shine out when you have snow on the road or on the shoulders of the road. I will never not have silverstars or real HID lights ever again. I just like how the silverstars work compared to stock bulbs. Plus they are cheaper, and you dont have to mess with projectors and stuff for HID's. I don't have a before and after pic for you, but they look a lot better. But here is a view of the silverstars from the drivers seat looking at my garage, the fron t of the truck is probably between 8 and 10 feet away from the garage:

Also I have not had anyproblems with them burning out prematurely. I have had the ones in my truck the longest (1.75 years about), My Dad has had them in his suburban for a little over a year, and the last 2 vehicles I had put them in, I only owned for a year each so the bulbs went with the vehicles and I would guess had quite a bit of life left in them. Hope this helps you out, maybe I can get a night time road picture tonight showing the distances the light goes and the actual pattern you should see (I live in the UP so when it gets dark its really dark).

Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have used them and will never use them again. Actually threw out the last set I had in my Bonneville because I hated the glare. Glare does not equal higher output.

IMO, the light output is considered "brighter" only in the fact that it has more blue to it which glares off of everything, giving you the impression that the output is greater. Blue light masks detail, while that "yellow" halogen light enhances detail. Same reason why I always used an amber lense in my ski goggles night or day. I could read the slope/snow much better than a clear lense. This is especially true in the snow. Bluish light and white, reflective objects equals GLARE!

One of the guys in my fire department has silverstars in his truck and everytime I ride with him I reaffirm how much I hate silverstar bulbs. I don't believe his are the ultras, but if the ultras have even a hint of blue, I won't even bother.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Strange, because I see a lot better with the regular silverstars in, have not noticed any glaring. All the light that I see on the road is white, when you get out and look at the truck you see a hint of blue, but you can't notice it while driving, atleast with my bulbs.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I haven't had one problem with mine, they light up the night very well, of course I turn mine off during the day I dont use day time running lights at all!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM

I have been running the drls the entire time I have had them and still no problems with the high beam bulbs. I think they are great but I guess thats just my opinion.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

i knew a guy who worked at the factory so he basicly pulled 4 off the line for me, for my fog lighs..
\

when night comes at work, its kind of like a traditon we will all start are cars and just turn the fog lights on, it looks kinda of cool, and i have some of the smallest housing they so over power everyone esles normal lights, so you might not notice it much, but if you compare it to another car yours WILL be alot brighter

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Silverstars for my brights because I bought those by accident, but they make the brights pretty intense, almost blinding staring directly into them. I ordered PIAA Super Plasmas way back in December and this stupid website still says they're not in yet. I called and they said a few more weeks. I'm pretty mad, they should've been in my truck weeks ago! [:@]