General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

TOWING WITH A BLAZER?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Default TOWING WITH A BLAZER?????

How heavy of a trailer have you pulled with your Blazer?
I have a Cargo Trailer that GVW is 3500#
I will be pulling it about 170 miles. over 2 passes with 6% grades. The first starts at 900 ft of elev & climbs to 3500 ft in 12 miles. The second will be out of Las Vegas 1200 ft to 5500 ft in about 20 miles.
What do you guys think will the Blazer make it????

Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: TOWING WITH A BLAZER?????

I towed a ~3500lb, 35ft construction trailer (one of the one's you see hauling a bobcat or new holland on) with the blazer to move a substantial amount of furniture with...The blazer did fine, no tranny issues (kept it in drive-3), the only problem was the pulling from the trailer. Made me wish I had one of those nifty shock absorbing hitch tounges! But other than the pulling and yanking around bumps and what not, did fine around town....Now I didn't try any significant grade, but there were hills and such..still no problem though

Old 04-30-2008, 08:04 PM

I have towed this trailer with a 2004 Trailblazer 4x4 with same gears. My Blazer has the heavy tow package which means it has a factory trans cooler, or should I say trans tubes in front of condenser. Well, I'll let everyone know after May 10 when I tow it.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The blazer with the same gears will have a more difficult time of towing it than the Trailblazer did. The first mod for any vehicle should be the installation of an aftermarket external cooler even if it is equiped with a factory external cooler.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Most I towed was our Boy Scout Troop Trailer. Only went 40 miles or so with it. Thing weghs like 3,000 pounds. No problems, not even while in 4x4 through the snow.

I ahve towed a 4x8 U-Haul trailer with a Dodge colt before, over 3 mountain passes in teh middle of December. We moved from Washington State back to Illinois. Talk about an adventure. That little Dodge did just fine, 4 banger with a 6 spedd tranny. No troubles. I did have to use chains to get over the the pass in Idaho though. Everything passed me going up and down that mountain. I was nearing overheating as we crested teh top doing all of 15mph. We did pass several other vehicles that passed us earlier in the day. They were also towing and had a serious V shape going on. They were broke down on the side of the road and occupants were long gone by time we passed them.

I guess the point is, take your time. Your not going to be winning any races, nor should you try. If the tranny is hunting for a gear, downshift and slow down. Teh worst thing you can do is run it hot. Keep the engine cool and the tranny will be cool too. Heat is the number one reasons tranny fail.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Yea that is my plan. I'm not in any hurry. I tow a 10,000# travel trailer with my 86 F250 4x4, 460, C-6, with 3:55 gears. I don't care if I get passed. I just do my thing. I think towing over 65 MPH is kind of crazy, I like about 60 MPH. If anything happens to these people that have tow at 75+ MPH it spells trouble for them & possible others. It should be interesting. As a rule my wife tows the cargo trailer following me towing our RV. I know the Trailblazer use to get about 13-14 MPG towing. I doubt the Blazer will see that. I'll let you know how it all works out. I have a buddy of mine at our designation standing by in case we have BLAZER trouble. I hope not. I'm still just gun shy after all the problems it has had. So I hoping this trip will help build my confidence of this truck.
I put LUBEGARD in the tranny after we bought it. LUBEGARD was recommended to me by a few Tranny shops several years ago. LUBEGARD drops tranny temps by as much as 75 degrees according to a tranny guy that tested it. My C-6 has about 30,000 miles of towing 10,000# 60,000 miles since it was rebuilt. It has never given me a bit of trouble.
So wish me a SAFE, TROUBLE FREE trip.
Thanks

Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

I towed the biggest trailer that uhaul had and loaded it to the top. I pulled it up and down the NC coast while moving with no problems. Well almost no problems, since I only have a 2 door I don't have as much weight as a 4 door the trailer pushed me around a little bit, but nothing that she couldn't handle. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Be safe and have agood trip. Sounds like you got more then the basics down.

I agree about the speeding. I see it all the time when traveling, especiallyduring inclimate weather. Typically SUV or fullsize trucks hauling *** with a trailer that tows great, untilthey lose it and end up jack-knifed.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Be safe and have agood trip. Sounds like you got more then the basics down.

I agree about the speeding. I see it all the time when traveling, especiallyduring inclimate weather. Typically SUV or fullsize trucks hauling *** with a trailer that tows great, untilthey lose it and end up jack-knifed.
Thanks, Yea I see people pulling 15,000#+ Travel trailers 75-80 MPH. When they blow a tire they tear the floor out of the trailer or wreck. If they kill themselves I wouldn't care but as a rule they injure & kill others with there crazy mindless driving. I drove truck back in the 70s every so often. I was a mechanic but with the companies I worked for most of us mechanics had Class 1 licenses so we could drive company trucks. I had a 100 ton Govenment Drivers License. So I know a little about towing & the problems too much speed causes.
Craig