General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Valvetrain

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road
Default Valvetrain

Hey few questions here...
Basically I have an intake valve stuck open, my mechanic said likely its springs and or rockers maybe stuck lifter. I have decided I want to fix the truck. I also had a couple friends offer to help if i did it myself, its more than ive done before and am not so sure about it. Leaning towards paying to get it done.
Either way anybody have some advice, how hard is it?
Should I replace other things while im at it like the timing chain if its going to be less labor now than later

Old 03-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Starting Member
dragoon1101 is on a distinguished road

yes might as well change as much as possible now then have to go back and do it twice .. or more....if its a stuck lifter then that one is easier to do then a spring due to the fact u have to pull the heads to replace the springs .. best thing to do is rebuild the heads entirely (new valves, springs, lifters, and rockers if u want) it will be more expensive but worth it and you can have them port and polished while they are off then u can replace the lifters and push rods (and even the cam if u wanted) and timing chain other thing to check while your in there is if you have CPI (popits) or
MPI (injectors) injection. if u have CPI you can swap them for MPI directly but they are like $300 but you will get better mileage and power of course this is only if your looking for more power

i would at least rebuild the heads that way u are refreshing the motor top end totally and not just putting a band aid on it and have to do the rebuild later spending money now will save you money in the long run
and another thing if you have the timing chain replaced just put in a new water pump (hell do it even if you dont !...)

P.S. if your mechanic told u this why didnt he remove the valve covers and visually inspect the top end to see if its a broken spring or a failed lifter ?? that is a easy thing to do yourself its a little messy but you can do this open the side that the problem is on and insect the springs visually then if no broken spring turn the motor over with cover off and watch all the rockers to see if they are all moving the same amount (disconnect the ignition coil from the distributor) then go on from there

Last edited by dragoon1101; 03-09-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road

A little update... The valve was bent so im waiting on a machine shop to do both heads, basically whole top end rebuild. Luckily the piston still looks good. Bit of a can of worms once it was opened up, the coolant was junk and the plugs were very old and worn. So im replacing water pump, rad, lifter, rods, plugs, wires, rotor, hoses and seals, o2's... should be running like new after and certainly not misfiring