General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What causes this to happen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 AM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road
Default What causes this to happen?

First off, I know that brake squeak is much more common with ceramic pads because they're harder than the standard metallic pads...
But what actually causes the squeaking? Heat, moisture,brake dust???

I put brand new rotors, pads and a caliper in and within a few hundred miles of driving they squeak 80% of the time while slowing down.

I asked one of the mechanics at work and he didn't really know either.

Thanks fellas,
Steve

Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Presti7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheapo brake pads...I got some once from IC Whitney and they were horrific....too abrasive/hard of a brake material.

Before you replace them get some of that anti-squeal grease and put a little on the BACK side of the pads.

From experience.....some of the brake pads they sell are just bad. Be careful where you buy them from.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:24 AM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

i personally never had good expeiences with ceramic pads, too many issues, semi metallic for me is the way to go, heck after all this truck
aint no sports car,and no matter what pads i install it wont stop on a dime,or give any change Hehe

Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The main cause, (not the only cause) of brake squeal is "pad slapping" ** and re-using the original, glazed rotors. When the pads are replaced, they need a good non-directional finish on the rotors to bed properly. Without the finish, they'll squeal for as long as they're on the vehicle. If the non-directional finish is good, you can use el cheapo pads or ceramic pads, without using "snake oil" on them, and they won't squeal. Original brakes don't use any of that stuff, so if you do the job right, you won't need it either. If the brakes are squealing, somebody did a halfass job.

** Pad slap is replacing just the pads and calling it a brake job. That's not even halfass, more like quarterass

Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The main cause, (not the only cause) of brake squeal is "pad slapping" ** and re-using the original, glazed rotors. When the pads are replaced, they need a good non-directional finish on the rotors to bed properly. Without the finish, they'll squeal for as long as they're on the vehicle. If the non-directional finish is good, you can use el cheapo pads or ceramic pads, without using "snake oil" on them, and they won't squeal. Original brakes don't use any of that stuff, so if you do the job right, you won't need it either. If the brakes are squealing, somebody did a halfass job.

** Pad slap is replacing just the pads and calling it a brake job. That's not even halfass, more like quarterass
Well, like I said, i replaced a caliper both rotors and the pads, and also lubed everything up. What else would I do?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Did the new rotors have a finish like this when you installed them?

Name:  Addgrind3.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  7.0 KB

You can feel the "grooves" when you run your hand over them, (it is not smooth). This type of finish is necessary for the pads to bed, (seat) correctly. Without this finish, you can expect the pads to squeal when applying the brakes. The finish will wear off as you use the brakes and the pads bed properly. Depending on how hard you are on your brakes, it can take ~1000 miles to wear off.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I've had the opposite experiences with ceramic pads. I used semi-metallic years ago, and they always squeeled and produced a ton of brake dust. They didn't last very long, either. I switched to ceramic, and haven't had a problem, since. I don't use the high performance, expensive ones. Just either the cheap, or maybe mid-grade ceramic pads. Also, the new pads need to be bedded in properly. There are different schools of thought on this, but usually the manufacturer has a break-in procedure for their pads.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM

Well, apparently I hit the break in period. They've only squealed once or twice in the last 2 days. Thanks fellas.