General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

CEL came on today.... p0101-MAF sensor fault. Bought some CRC cleaner and hosed it down today after work. Hopefully it doesn't come back

Last edited by KM346; 01-30-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Rich I don't like that you didn't protest the lap dance!!
I can shake it bro! I can shake it!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Pop those dollar bills ha ha

Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Baaaad bad visual ....

I'll take a few beers instead.

Wow Chris, that Blazer is SOLID - been a long time since I've seen one in that good of condition. The salt does horrible things to them up here. We're one of the only people in this part of the state with a first gen.

When I brought it in for an alignment a couple years ago, the service writer was like " '89??? An S10 Blazer?? Didn't think there were any left!" They nicknamed me the "King of vintage" LOL, because of the Blazer, our Marquis, and my '74 RD350 2-stroke bike. I have less problems with 30-40 year old equipment than I do with vehicles built in the last 10 years!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Starting Member
Franco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
OBD-II vehicles have the sensor after the cat - everything built '96 and after is OBD-II. Anything prior is OBD-I with no sensor. Mine being an '89 is OBD-I, so no sensor. Not that it matters anyway, since there isn't one electronic part on that engine now anyway.

You can cheat the post-cat sensor with a spark plug defouler of the correct size. Just find one that the o2 sensor will thread into, then thread that into the bung. It pulls the sensor out of the exhaust stream, so it can't tell the cat isn't there. The other option is the cheater sensor, but that costs a bit of cash ... and then there's the question of compatibility - will it work, or not? De-fouler is the way to go.
Defoulers I have seen have a small hole at the end that the nose of the sensor doesn't fit through. I suppose you could drill them out, but these worked for me on a 2002:
HHO Extension Hydrogen Oxygen Extender Spacer Test Pipe O2 M18 x 1 5 Thread Size | eBay

Had to use 2, but there have been no codes and it passes state inspection.

Once you get into that category on ebay, there are a lot of options.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Baaaad bad visual ....

I'll take a few beers instead.

Wow Chris, that Blazer is SOLID - been a long time since I've seen one in that good of condition. The salt does horrible things to them up here. We're one of the only people in this part of the state with a first gen.

When I brought it in for an alignment a couple years ago, the service writer was like " '89??? An S10 Blazer?? Didn't think there were any left!" They nicknamed me the "King of vintage" LOL, because of the Blazer, our Marquis, and my '74 RD350 2-stroke bike. I have less problems with 30-40 year old equipment than I do with vehicles built in the last 10 years!
whatchu mean MN truck here

But yeah, the salt is brutal, just gotta keep it clean.

Name:  DSC_6134.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  508.2 KB

Old 02-01-2014, 07:23 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

REAL NICE - yeah I knew yours was solid ... but those a few and far between these days, especially in the rust belt. I never see 1st gens around here ever, except ours. People are spoiled around here. Nobody can be seen driving such an "old" vehicle. Pampered poodles, lol - must be why our state's legislature is 97% democrat .... but I digress.

Originally Posted by Franco
Defoulers I have seen have a small hole at the end that the nose of the sensor doesn't fit through. .......
That's exactly the point - you want to pull the sensor out of the catless exhaust stream in order to trick the sensor into thinking the cat is still there. The small hole won't let enough HC through to throw a 0420 code.

Only time I do that is if/when the cat melts down. Doesn't really do much performance wise on a 2nd gen. Instead of spending $500 on a new, quality cat, ya just spend $6 on a couple defoulers, and you get a sticker with no issues.

Last edited by Smitty Smithsonite; 02-01-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member
BlazinAmazin is on a distinguished road

Replaced my steering box today. finally, nice tight steering!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran

Radiator came in the mail today, looks nice without all that oil cooler crap on the drivers side
Hope to get it in this weekend, Saturday. If only I knew a place that took old coolant.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

Wasn't today, but yesterday I gave the Blazer a wash... Best part about washing off all that salt and yuck..... I got it done for free! Somebody had jammed up like 7 quarters in the slot and the maintenance guy was like have a free wash!

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?