General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 PM
TxTurtle is on a distinguished road

Doing a tune up & installing an A/C bypass pulley.
Currently I'm stuck on how to get to the #3 plug though. Came to search the forum for a solution.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-12642599_416028001937597_7954228693863439667_n.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

The right combo of extensions and swivels (u-joints) will get you in there. I had to just lightly rest the u-joint in the plug socket - if I inserted it all the way until the ball locked, I couldn't turn it.

When that engine was in the '00 Jimmy, I found the OEM factory plug on #3, while the rest had been changed. Had almost a 3/16" gap! So worn there wasn't much left of it. Guess the techs didn't have a good week that week, & decided to skip it, lol.

Yikes ... if you're from Dallas, I'd be fixing that A/C rather than installing a bypass, IMO!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:40 AM
Starting Member
Franco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TxTurtle
I'm stuck on how to get to the #3 plug though. Came to search the forum for a solution.
Jack up the L/F, remove wheel and go through the wheel well. You can slide the protective sleeve on the steering wheel shaft out of the way. There is a flat spot on the steering shaft joint. Turn the steering wheel to align the flat spot with the spark plug. Socket on a long extension should go right in...

BTW, Is that an old VW hood on your garage wall?

Old 02-03-2016, 08:08 PM

Yes, it's a VW hood with a painting on it. It has a flatscreen on a custom mount that I cut & welded to fit behind the hood. I've got some old Nintendo game systems running into it & wifi so the kids can watch cartoons while I tinker out there. Normally this is my man cave space & I also use it as my business office on nice days.
I'm into old VW's. I have a dune buggy that belonged to my grandpa that I'm restoring & a yellow '72 standard beetle that I am putting a motor together for it in the garage too.
Here's an older pic of the hood. I wanted the hood on the wall, but also didn't want to waste the space underneath it. Eventually on the other side of the garage, I'll have a VW Thing hood that piviots downward & will serve as a diner like table for folks to put their drinks or snacks on to watch the game, etc. Then it folds up out of the way when not in use.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-10378309_265161780357554_5588424412213129506_n.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-entertainment%2520hood%25204.jpg  
Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Franco
Jack up the L/F, remove wheel and go through the wheel well. You can slide the protective sleeve on the steering wheel shaft out of the way. There is a flat spot on the steering shaft joint. Turn the steering wheel to align the flat spot with the spark plug. Socket on a long extension should go right in...

Thanks. I was going to unbolt the steering shaft & move it out of the way. This sounds like a much quicker option. I found the idea about unbolting it on another thread & didn't know there was a flat spot in the shaft.

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Yikes ... if you're from Dallas, I'd be fixing that A/C rather than installing a bypass, IMO!
Yeah, I definitely have to fix it right before it gets hot. The compressor if fine, the clutch pulley is bad. It has been squealing for about a year. I bought a new clutch for it but there is no way to get the nut off of the old one. It's not a hex nut. It's some sort of proprietary single groove nut on the shaft that requires a special tool to pull it. No one has a socket for it around here. I thought about buying a tri-groove socket & trying to mod it to fit But no one carries those either. I would have to order it & then wait for it to get here. Need the truck before then, so I took the clutch back got a refund & bought the bypass, If I can't find a shop or the right tool then I will have to buy a new compressor altogether. In the short term, $40 is a lot cheaper than $200 & I won't be worried that the bearing is going to lock up on me & leave me stranded on the road with my kids.

Last edited by TxTurtle; 02-03-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:08 AM
Starting Member
Franco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TxTurtle
{snip} Yes, it's a VW hood with a painting on it.
Very cool! My first cars were VWs. I had '62, '63 and '65 bugs and a '69 bus. Drove the bus coast-to-coast and did a few repairs while on the road. Fun times, and cars then were much simpler...

Old 02-04-2016, 05:43 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Really can`t see anything on your blazer..The lights have it all blinded out.Is it pewter?I have a pewter blazer

Old 02-04-2016, 05:47 AM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Franco

Each year blazer has a different steering shaft.I had to unloosen the steering shaft to get to my #3 plug.My shaft didn`t have a flat spot, it was completely round.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

4hi does not work, so it got driven to work in 4lo, That was a slow ride to work.

At least everyone else was going slow because we had just got 12" of snow and had 1-3 foot drifts.
I am ready for this POS to get sent to the yard.. soon.. sooooon

Old 02-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Like mine, Rich? That curse of mine belongs out back.

On the #3 plug - I never changed one by removing the shaft. I always weaseled my way around it using u-joints (swivels, or whatever you want to call it) and extensions.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-jimmy-cut-up-no-doors-3-.jpg  

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?