General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:39 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

That's what I would say too.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:44 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

so after about 2 years of sitting under the tarp i decided to dig it out, whats funny is im actually taking it to a truck show like a hour away. they have a ugly truck trophy im hoping to win

Name:  hoN32Qhl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  125.0 KB
Name:  4INoTIjl.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  118.5 KB
Name:  0XA3fBFl.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  150.9 KB

glad i took the boggers off before parking it, all of them pretty much went flat

so as far as what i done to it... i put a battery in it. i guess that counts as doing something

i bought this truck in 2007 i think. i always thought it would be kinda funny to find the original owner of this thing and show him what happened to his truck, and that it still runs fine.

Last edited by abig84; 08-19-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Good luck. I've always found your truck attractive. It's my idea of a trailer queen.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=abig84;679471]so after about 2 years of sitting under the tarp i decided to dig it out, whats funny is im actually taking it to a truck show like a hour away. they have a ugly truck trophy im hoping to win

If you were going for the ugly truck prize you should have left those small tires on there. It definitely looks better with the mudders on it.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:23 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Reminded myself why I don't go playing in the mud anymore...

Needed to clean the mud out from the inside of the wheels, and it was time for a tire rotation anyhow...

She got a full bath afterwards lol

Old 08-30-2017, 04:58 AM
Starting Member

Getting ready to set the timing on my son's '85 S10 Blazer with a 2.8. The Chilton's says to set it with number 4 at tdc but the shop says ignore that and set it with number 1 at tdc. Thoughts?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

I've never heard of any GM going off any cylinder but #1. That is odd.

Anyway, if that has EST (Electronic Spark Timing), you have to unplug either a 4 wire connector at the distributor, or a single wire, to take the computer out of the equation while timing. If it doesn't have that, just disconnect & plug the vacuum advance line.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Starting Member
Franco is on a distinguished road

My unofficial thought is that the cylinder 1 vs. 4 thing won't make any difference, since #4 is 4th in the timing sequence.

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Anyway, if that has EST (Electronic Spark Timing), you have to unplug either a 4 wire connector at the distributor, or a single wire, to take the computer out of the equation while timing. If it doesn't have that, just disconnect & plug the vacuum advance line.
I had a '94 years back... IIRC, the wire to unplug was under the dash on the passenger's side. You set timing with the wire disconnected, reset the ICM, reconnect the wire and let the ICM do its thing... something like that... It's been a long time, double check me on it.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Starting Member
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
I've never heard of any GM going off any cylinder but #1. That is odd.

I appreciate your advice as always Smitty. I'd have closed it up already with it lined up using #1 but I caught the flu and took a few days of down time. I don't Think it has EST but I'm not sure. Basically I'm going to get it close enough to run (with a little luck) and then take it to the shop to get it exactly where it's supposed to be. I never seem to have the knack to get it perfect so I end up paying the experts after doing 'the grunt work' so to speak.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Starting Member
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Franco
My unofficial thought is that the cylinder 1 vs. 4 thing won't make any difference, since #4 is 4th in the timing sequence.

I had a '94 years back... IIRC, the wire to unplug was under the dash on the passenger's side. You set timing with the wire disconnected, reset the ICM, reconnect the wire and let the ICM do its thing... something like that... It's been a long time, double check me on it.
I appreciate your input Franco. I was looking at where they both stopped when cranking it over and putting them on tdc. There really isn't much of a difference between #1 tdc and #4 tdc.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?