General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Old 09-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

That happened on my wife's '86 Grand Marquis one day. I had put hoses on top and bottom about 8 years earlier. She was headed to work and got about 5 miles from the house when the upper hose blew right off the t-stat housing. Guess the clamp loosened up over the years.

That got me in the habit of checking all my worm clamps on all my older vehicles whenever I change the oil. Some had been on there over 10 years and were still tight. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.

Glad it was an easy fix! That's always a great day.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:06 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

looky looky what i scored at the pick n pull today. Almost a brand new 145 amp ad244. . It looks to be maybe on the truck for a few months. Part # Carquest 8292an. Says its 145 amp.

I stopped by Oreillys to have it tested. The dude seemed like he didnt give a damn and was gone for like 2 min and said its good. I doubt he tested it. il have it retest later but it looks and feels new so...eh?

It was $41 bucks out the door.
(plus $3 to get in then probably $8 in gas and $6 in a double cheeseburger meal with no pickles) but that doesn't count! -.- Now i just gotta figure out exactly how to wire it on my 92 cpi w vin setup. Some says plug n play some says a resistor etc is required.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:40 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Nice ⬆️

So over the weekend I replaced the radiator, fan and lower half of the fan shroud. All went on without issue. And then the moment of truth- start it up and see how I did. Behold! Coolant leak from the water pump! DAMMIT man.
So then I have to undo everything I just did and start back over. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Fast forward to the moment of truth (again).
Behold! Transmission fluid leak!
Apparently I should have gone ahead and replaced the cooler line fittings (even though they never leaked before).
Did that, reassembled and tested and Preston! No more leaky.
Until......
I got to work tonight and......
Behold! Oil leak at the cooler line fittings.
Yada yada yada.
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Old 09-18-2017, 09:23 AM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
That happened on my wife's '86 Grand Marquis one day. I had put hoses on top and bottom about 8 years earlier. She was headed to work and got about 5 miles from the house when the upper hose blew right off the t-stat housing. Guess the clamp loosened up over the years.

That got me in the habit of checking all my worm clamps on all my older vehicles whenever I change the oil. Some had been on there over 10 years and were still tight. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.

Glad it was an easy fix! That's always a great day.

That has got to be a freak occurrence. I've had to change a lot of hoses that have been on cars for many a years. I've yet to find a clamp that had loosened on its own. However, I reckon if the clamp was worn and wasn't catching the best in the first place vibration could do it over the years. It usually goes the other way. You've got to fight them to break them loose because they're rusted.

Yep, I was definitely glad for an easy fix.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Nice ⬆️

So over the weekend I replaced the radiator, fan and lower half of the fan shroud. All went on without issue. And then the moment of truth- start it up and see how I did. Behold! Coolant leak from the water pump! DAMMIT man.
So then I have to undo everything I just did and start back over. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Fast forward to the moment of truth (again).
Behold! Transmission fluid leak!
Apparently I should have gone ahead and replaced the cooler line fittings (even though they never leaked before).
Did that, reassembled and tested and Preston! No more leaky.
Until......
I got to work tonight and......
Behold! Oil leak at the cooler line fittings.
Yada yada yada.
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Sometimes I think these vehicles just crave attention. You fix one thing and they think up another problem to make you work on. Yeah, next time your vehicle has an issue just remember that it only wants love and attention. :P

Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Starting Member
Default Color me clueless

[QUOTE=chris015;680309]looky looky what i scored at the pick n pull today. Almost a brand new 145 amp ad244. . It looks to be maybe on the truck for a few months. Part # Carquest 8292an. Says its 145 amp.

It was $41 bucks out the door.
(plus $3 to get in then probably $8 in gas and $6 in a double cheeseburger meal with no pickles) but that doesn't count! -.- Now i just gotta figure out exactly how to wire it on my 92 cpi w vin setup. Some says plug n play some says a resistor etc is required.

By my calculations that means it was $58. (It all counts.)

I don't know anything about the compatibility or what you need to do to make it work but I'd say ask 100 'experts' and go with what the majority think.

Good Luck!

Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chris015
...... Now i just gotta figure out exactly how to wire it on my 92 cpi w vin setup. Some says plug n play some says a resistor etc is required.

Found this on Youtube - start watching at 3:54 for the relevant stuff:

Last edited by Smitty Smithsonite; 09-18-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Youtube vid did not start at 3:54 on it's own
Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Justanotherguy is on a distinguished road
Default Got frustrated reading this forum all day.

im no mechanic and this is my first blazer. Just picked up an 1994 with so many wiring issues it's unreal. But of course it's going to turn out to be something simple. So let's run down the list. Drivers window does not roll up but for a split second after the ignition is turned on it will move down a 1/4 inch. The mirror adjustment switch does nothing at all. All of the interior lights are not working except all of the dash lights (including ashtray) those come on every time. The cigarette lighters have no power to them. And the door locks were not working but today decided to start working. All the other windows do roll up and down. It has an aftermarket steering wheel so not to sure on the horn not working. Could just not be hooked up. Last but not least... the back glass release must of stopped working as well because the latch was broken on purpose to allow entry from what I can tell. Good thing this truck was cheap I'd prob shoot it already lol oh rough idle as well but I figured that out with the threads here.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

^^^^^^

Sounds like a good parts truck if the body and interior is in good shape.

Let us know what comes out of it. Have you gone around with a tester to see if it's switches or just shot wires?

Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Parts truck? It looks and runs good. He just needs to find a bad ground or a burnt bundle of wire to get his accessories working.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?