General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Installed the power cord for the block heater I replaced last week. Even the installation of the cord was a pain.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Starting Member
Josh Erik is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission.

I have a 94 s10 blazer with the 4.3 vortec motor. I need to get a new trans mine leaks fluid terribly and ive already replaced all seals. Will a trans from any year 4.3 blazer/s10 model mount up or only certain ones?

Last edited by Josh Erik; 11-10-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran

Replaced the rear axle gear oil and installed a new gasket. Then right when I was about o refill it, I learned the pump for the gear oil was busted. So I had to take off my grungy clothes to go to the parts store and get a pump.

I also was smart and disconnected the rear anti-sway bar from the the rear axle to have easier access.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:22 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I've had great success with my yellow tops. They're pricey, but to me they're worth it with all the accessories I have powered off it.
What do you have going on there...
Are you using the side posts for the normal battery cables, and the top posts for accessories?

Old 11-10-2019, 09:47 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Still working on my son's ZR2.
  • Got the oil change and installed a new drain plug
  • Drained the radiator and filled with new antifreeze now good to 5 degrees F was over 20 F just no time to do system flush.
  • installed new wheel hubs and found out why the ABS sensor on the passenger side was dead...2 breaks in the cable at the hub.
  • Clean the ABS system ground so now no ABS codes or light.
  • changed both u-joints on the main drive shaft and found out that the rear joint has 1-3/16" diameter caps while the front has 1-1/8" this eliminated the nasty vibration we had as the old rear joint had failed.
I also had to mowed the grass/leaves before the weather changes tonight and we get a hard freeze on Tuesday.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:20 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Josh Erik
I have a 94 s10 blazer with the 4.3 vortec motor. I need to get a new trans mine leaks fluid terribly and ive already replaced all seals. Will a trans from any year 4.3 blazer/s10 model mount up or only certain ones?
They'll bolt up, but the newer transmissions are electronically controlled (1996 and up if I remember right). The trans won't shift correctly without some way of controlling it. They sell aftermarket stand-alone controllers for that ($$$), but you're better off finding a tranny for your particular generation of Blazer.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:04 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
What do you have going on there...
Are you using the side posts for the normal battery cables, and the top posts for accessories?
A mix

Side posts have the factory connections, as well as on the + side an extra 4 gauge alternator charge lead and a short 2 gauge lead going over to the 500 amp isolator to the left of the battery that kills and arms the winch.

Top posts have electric fans and 0 gauge that goes to the back for the stereo amplifier on the + post, and an extra ground to the frame and winch on the - side.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:57 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
A mix

Side posts have the factory connections, as well as on the + side an extra 4 gauge alternator charge lead and a short 2 gauge lead going over to the 500 amp isolator to the left of the battery that kills and arms the winch.

Top posts have electric fans and 0 gauge that goes to the back for the stereo amplifier on the + post, and an extra ground to the frame and winch on the - side.
Whoa, very nice! I will be hooking up my amp and some fog lights soon....and by soon, let's face it; Spring at the earliest.

The cold just set in, so my work on it is limited to "necessary". At least until it warms up a bit. Highs in the 20's and lows in the single digits.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I threw a 4 point bull elk in the back of my Blazer, by myself, this past Friday morning. Well, "threw" may not be the correct term. I did cut it up into five pieces and I have been paying for it since as my back has been killing me. A word of advice for anyone who hunts elk, never EVER attempt this at all. I am still crying a little every time I get up out the recliner.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:09 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by AJBert
I threw a 4 point bull elk in the back of my Blazer, by myself, this past Friday morning. Well, "threw" may not be the correct term. I did cut it up into five pieces and I have been paying for it since as my back has been killing me. A word of advice for anyone who hunts elk, never EVER attempt this at all. I am still crying a little every time I get up out the recliner.
A joke I had with a former hunting buddy was "There is elk-hunting fit and then there is elk-hauling fit!" LOL

For my last two elk (cows) I was able to drive up close to them and then use a come-along to pull them into my utility trailer. I was very lucky!

BTW, Congrats on the elk!

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?