General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I had one of those same lights in, get this, my 90's full-size truck. I loved it.

That's a great upgrade for the Blazer. I might have to look for one so I can steal your idea. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2022, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
I had one of those same lights in, get this, my 90's full-size truck. I loved it.

That's a great upgrade for the Blazer. I might have to look for one so I can steal your idea. Thanks!
Thanks! I posted all the gory details at my build thread.

The three most important things are to get a light with the electrical pigtail, one that has mounting holes in the right place, and one that has the retaining clip undamaged or missing.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Helped my son change out the passenger side motor mount. Not too bad but that bottom bolt to the engine block is a bit of a PITA. Will do the same tomorrow with the driver's side, hopefully he will only need a bit of guidance and maybe some encouragement. After that is done, he gets to throw a bunch of new parts back into it, to include timing cover, radiator and fan clutch and fan. Plus all the stuff he had to remove to get to those parts.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:30 PM
BF Veteran

Got new tires installed. These are Toyo A/T III 30x9.5R15. I'm liking the more aggressive tread design.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:00 AM
puttster is on a distinguished road

replaced tensioner, belt and idler pulley.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member
Perry910 is on a distinguished road

I greased everything under my left front wheel. Was going to do right too, but grease gun gave out on me. I had no idea my 02 blazer had the grease fittings. Figured only older ones had them. I just used some all purpose grease I had laying around.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:50 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Perry910
I greased everything under my left front wheel. Was going to do right too, but grease gun gave out on me. I had no idea my 02 blazer had the grease fittings. Figured only older ones had them. I just used some all purpose grease I had laying around.
Hate to say this, but your 02 Blazer IS an older vehicle.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:16 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by AJBert
Hate to say this, but your 02 Blazer IS an older vehicle.
Boo Hiss!

My 99 is ONLY 23 years old. I am still amazed that it has a door lock fob! My next newest vehicle is a 82 Prelude so to me it is new! So what if it is older than most undergraduate college kids in my town.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:39 PM
Stovey will become famous soon enough

I repaired my 4WD!! The vehicle seemed to shift from 2HI to 4LO but not 4HI. Here's what I did.

A. Inspected vacuum hoses with propane. There didn't seem to be a leak, but the vacuum hoses from the check valve to the canister badly needed replacement.

B. Removed the battery and observed the actuator working. The actuator works so the cable and vacuum system must be OK.

C. Removed and cleaned and lubricated the transfer case encoder motor. I drilled 2 holes in the case, sprayed contact cleaner onto the switch, and worked the motor back and forth with leads to the battery. At first it was slow to turn and squeaky, but after repeating several times it seemed to zip along. I sprayed in some teflon lubricant and sealed the holes.

D. Tested for fault codes. I was receiving a fault Code 1 which is either "Circuit 40" or the transfer case control module. Circuit 40 includes the cargo light, dome light, courtesy lamps, door switches, and inadvertent power relay. As it turns out my cargo light was blown and a door switch was broken and always closed! I also cleaned the ground G409.

E. Repaired the 4WD switch. At this point the vehicle seemed to be going in and out of 4WD, however the lights on the switch on the dash seemed intermittent, and they turned off by themselves while driving. I removed the switch and re-soldered each of the joints and cleaned the switch connections. Now, the lights are nice and bright and the switch works reliably every time!

4WD just in time for winter!

Old 10-18-2022, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Stovey
I repaired my 4WD!! The vehicle seemed to shift from 2HI to 4LO but not 4HI. Here's what I did.

A. Inspected vacuum hoses with propane. There didn't seem to be a leak, but the vacuum hoses from the check valve to the canister badly needed replacement.

B. Removed the battery and observed the actuator working. The actuator works so the cable and vacuum system must be OK.

C. Removed and cleaned and lubricated the transfer case encoder motor. I drilled 2 holes in the case, sprayed contact cleaner onto the switch, and worked the motor back and forth with leads to the battery. At first it was slow to turn and squeaky, but after repeating several times it seemed to zip along. I sprayed in some teflon lubricant and sealed the holes.

D. Tested for fault codes. I was receiving a fault Code 1 which is either "Circuit 40" or the transfer case control module. Circuit 40 includes the cargo light, dome light, courtesy lamps, door switches, and inadvertent power relay. As it turns out my cargo light was blown and a door switch was broken and always closed! I also cleaned the ground G409.

E. Repaired the 4WD switch. At this point the vehicle seemed to be going in and out of 4WD, however the lights on the switch on the dash seemed intermittent, and they turned off by themselves while driving. I removed the switch and re-soldered each of the joints and cleaned the switch connections. Now, the lights are nice and bright and the switch works reliably every time!

4WD just in time for winter!
Dang! You did good!

If you took any pictures of your repair, I'm sure others would appreciate a stand-alone post on your repair in case someone might find it useful in the future.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?