General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Twip
Tomorrow i will start cleaning things up to get the ball rolling on getting this installed by Saturday afternoon!
Did ya get er done?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member
mikeyg6754 is on a distinguished road
Smile Hinge Pins and Bushings

Replaced the driver side hinge pins and bushings today.
Now I'm waiting for a new door armrest to arrive so I can finally shut my door correctly.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-rhsg6an.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-jbxwwws.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road

Got it sprayed off, all the salt, before this -13 cold air gets here. Also put some gas dryer in it just in case. I don't normally add anything to my fuel.

Last edited by CAB; 01-26-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:17 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

took it out in the snow and played awhile on the streets, love 4wd powerslides! and the 4wd burnouts from a stop when the light goes green!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Remind me to NEVER announce to the world how great the Blazer is running, because it'll bite ya in the ***! Spent a couple hours yesterday in 15° temps screwing with the exhaust system ....

Wifey came home and told me it had a hard time climbing the hill, and it's loud. Hmmm.. wtf could that be??? So I'm thinking, OH BOY ... that's probably the end of this engine. She had just filled the tank ... I check the MPG's - 13.96!! WOAH something ain't right - we were getting 17 all last month!

So I go for a ride. Start climbing this small hill and put my foot into it, and the carb lets out this SUPER LOUD BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH!!! like a sick cow, with absolutely zero power. I know that sound instantly - clogged catalytic converter. Should've never installed the damn thing to begin with!

Pulled the exhaust down at the cat, and fired it up - was dead silent! Problem confirmed. Hogged it out & fired it up a few times to blast the chunks out. Got a shopping bag full of pieces. Bolted it all back up and all is well. It's got a little exhaust note to it now, sort of like those fart cannons the ricer kids put on their Toyota Corollas ... only nowhere near as obnoxious ...

Now it's running better than ever! Guess this was a problem from day one that was gradually getting worse. Thing runs better than it ever has now! OOPS ....

I mean, no - NO IT'S NOT running good at all ..... terrible!

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-exhaustcatalyticconverterfixblazer_zps80b17860.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-catalyticconverterchunksblazer_zps88adce94.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-catalyticconverterchunkblazermelted_zps592571bd.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2014, 06:30 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

id gut my converter if i knew it would be ok, what with the sensor thats plugged into it, im not sure what effect it would have with a empty shell instead of how it would normally be. ive gutted the cat on the ranger, but the sensors on it are on the Y pipe before the converter, noting on the converter itself like the blazer is. im sure theres some resistor i could wire into the sensor to "trick" the system into thinking everything is alright, just dont know what it is. i guess as long as its working i'll let it be.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

This cold weather is really getting out of hand. Started the truck this morning, Man, these things make some weird noises when it is this cold (-17°f)

Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Wow that's damn cold! I'd be having some issues with the 10W-30, even though it's Amsoil, at those temps - lots of clicking and tapping going on ...

Originally Posted by racsan
id gut my converter if i knew it would be ok, what with the sensor thats plugged into it, im not sure what effect it would have with a empty shell instead of how it would normally be. .............
OBD-II vehicles have the sensor after the cat - everything built '96 and after is OBD-II. Anything prior is OBD-I with no sensor. Mine being an '89 is OBD-I, so no sensor. Not that it matters anyway, since there isn't one electronic part on that engine now anyway.

You can cheat the post-cat sensor with a spark plug defouler of the correct size. Just find one that the o2 sensor will thread into, then thread that into the bung. It pulls the sensor out of the exhaust stream, so it can't tell the cat isn't there. The other option is the cheater sensor, but that costs a bit of cash ... and then there's the question of compatibility - will it work, or not? De-fouler is the way to go.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Tell me about it, surprisingly, the noises it did not make, was clicking and tapping.
There was an interesting noise (has happened when this cold since we got it) when first starting for about a second that literally sounded like the truck was saying a high pitched "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Then after that went away, There was a nice high pitched child scream that was coming from the front (I am guessing tension pulley) That one was actually new. But, when its this cold, you can expect things to make noises that you normally would not hear.

Dont even get me started on leather seats when it is this cold. felt like I was sitting on a seat made of ice cream.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 AM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally got it towed yesterday. Gonna be fun scheduling time to work on it. I'm in the process of moving to Broomfield, and my work schedule has me working 3:30 p.m. Wed - Fri and 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. Sat and Sun.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?