General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Worth the Purchase???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 02:43 PM
Starting Member
Esteban is on a distinguished road
Default Worth the Purchase???

In the market for a late 80s early 90s square body blazer/jimmy (Father had one when I was a kid and would be kind of sentimental. Driving one would feel like I'm borrowing my old man's ride). I live in south Texas and found what looks to be a nice 1991 Jimmy in great shape that's up in Michigan.

https://www.4-wheelclassics.com/vehicles/533/1991-gmc-jimmy

Please lend me your eyes and expertise. Anyone see any issues or concern with it? Don't want to waste a trip to Michigan to take a closer look if it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Obviously, you can't put a price on sentimental value, but that's almost twice what it sold for brand new. There's no way I would pay anywhere near that price, no matter how nice it is. But again, if it's worth that much to you, then it's worth that much. Just remember, it's still a 30-year old vehicle with 130k miles on it, and it's still subject to all the little electrical problems and other things that come with such vehicles.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:35 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

As TomA says would need some more consideration. Check the prices of similar trucks at the same age. Usually only the late 70's and early 80's sell for these prices.
It looks good with the usual rust spots which need to be addressed within short time to avoid larger damage.

Some parts have been treated somehow and painted or been sprayed over without doing a full job. Looks like primer on the underside. This would need some investigation on how it has been repaired. i.e. body which follows the rear of the frame where it ascends towards the rear axle. Corners of the body where the front mount attach to the frame and so on.
These are known spots on the Blazers. I would have a closer look at all the rust spots on the floor. If possible also lifting the carpets in the foot-well of the driver and passenger.
Also the usual bad spot is the joint where the floor pan joins the firewall. Front fenders where the inner layer joins the skin.

Another aspect is the engine and drivetrain. Seems that the seller is serious and fair. They clearly state that there are no receipts on that end. Would need an additional budget within the next couple of years in the range of 4'000 - 6'000 $ if something let's go on the mechanical end (engine, axles, transmission, transfer-case).

The electrical wiring at the rear end seems to have lost it's protective taping. Some plugs seem to be new (under rear bumper). Some weather-pack connectors seem new. If a pro keeps a vehicle up which is dear to him that could be a possible repair. (I do them that way - use OEM style connectors) Still would check the wiring if the insulation is still soft and does not break if the cable is gently wound around a golf ball size object.

Still a very nice clean truck and depending on what you can do yourself may be good for another two decades.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:56 AM
Starting Member
Troxell78 is on a distinguished road

I work for an auction company and we had a couple at our last auction. Here are the links for them. I'm not trying to self-promote but it will show you what people are willing to spend on these trucks v.s. how much they are worth.
https://www.premierauctiongroup.com/...5-blazer-4-x-4
https://www.premierauctiongroup.com/...-sierra-custom
if either of these trucks interests you shoot me an email troxell78@yahoo.com.
Again I'm not trying to self promote (because I'm assuming that's probably frowned upon.) I know it helps me to see what other people would pay for something I'm going to buy.