General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Heat-A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:40 AM
CuppednFallin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1998 Heat-A/C question

Hello all. I just registered and searched for posts that may help this problem, Although not finding and answer this place looks like it is a tremendous help.

Anyway, Today in 103 Degree heat. My A/C quite blowing and then started back up after I turned off the recirculating (or A/C button I can't remember) button then turned it back on. However later in the day when I left the house again the A/C or Heater would not blow. And still wont right now.

I can hear the compressor engage when I turn the a/c on but no air except a very very light puff of cold air for less then a second. When ever i say very light I mean less than a breathe from a person. Kinda like it is just resonate air in the duct.

I had the blower replaced two years and and one month ago. I would think that the blower would not go bad so soon. But I may be wrong. I checked the A/C fuse under the hood and it was good. And since it blows neither hot or cold i figure it is in the blower. Is there a fuse for the blower or a relay that I can check or replace? The only thing that has been replaced recently is the EGR Gasket. Other than that there has been no repairs made to the Blazer recently other than routine oil changes that I have done myself.

Like I said, It is scorching here in the midwest right now and if anyone has any suggestion I would really appriciate it. Thanks in advance...

CNP

Old 07-21-2006, 02:53 AM
Nations81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 1998 Heat-A/C question

I dont know much about the blowers but i would assume there is a fuse. I am an electrician by trade and If you just replaced the blower and it is bad already either one of two things. The blower is bad from a manufacturer defect, or the power circuit to the blower is over heating causing the fuse to blow or the blower to burn out. If you had the proper meter you could easily check the blower and the circuit.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 AM
CuppednFallin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I am gonna pull all the fuses one by one. I am not sure what the HVAC fuses are for. I have a meter but don't know squat about the A/C motor or circutry. Thanks for your suggestion though.

CNP

Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 AM
Nations81 is an unknown quantity at this point

The HVAC(heating ventilation Air conditioning) fuses are for the AC system but I dont know how many you have or what they are for.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

First check the HVAC fuse #9. Should have 12 volts both sides. If the fuse is good then check for power to the blower resister and the blower relay. Put up another post with what you find. If you need more help, just ask.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/9AC15F427264400D8AD7FB8CA7D89F3B.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think some clarification is necessary. Is the blower just stopping? Or is the air cool for a second, then back to warm?

The first condition doesn't sound normal. Typically, a failed resistor pack will, well, just fail. Not stop working, then come back. And this would be dependant only on the first 3 settings for fan speed (low, med1, med2). The blower motor relay only handles the high speed fan setting. If your fan works with the A/C off in all of the fan settings, then the controls for the fan are working correctly. If it takes turning the A/C on to get the fan to quit, then I suspect a problem in the HVAC control head.

If the latter is the case, then it may be that you have a condition where the high pressure transducer is shutting off the compressor either due to the extreme heat, an overcharge on the A/C, or both.

Keep us informed.