General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alternator shot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:14 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternator shot?

I bought my blazer from a guy who rebuilt the engine(currently 27k on rebuild) and replaced the alternator when he did that. He had all the receipts for everything so I know he wasn't joshin me. The guy replaced the battery with one that didn't have enough cranking amps so it was dead after like a week of me having it. So I went out and bought a new battery and replaced it, now it won't charge and the battery light is on indicating my alternator isn't working. Is it possible I fried it? I checked all the wires and whatnot but I couldnt find a loose wire. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Alternator shot?

If you unhook the battery while the engine is running and it stalls, your alt is bad.

Now one of the biggest things that kills alternators is misalignment of the pulleys causing the bearings to go out in the alternator. On the older v-belt systems like what I think your '88 has, this is more critical because of the tension that must be maintained on the belts to keep them from slipping. You'll want to at the very least eye-ball your pulleys (or a straight edge on the front of the crank pulley) to make sure that all of them are in proper alignment. You may still need a new alternator, but atleast if something is outta wack and you correct it, you shouldn't be replacing the alternator prematurely again.

Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Alternator shot?

Thanks man