General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best brake SHOES?

Old 04-06-2006, 09:43 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best brake SHOES?

Have two blazers in need of brakes this spring. Have found MANY high performance front pads and I use "hawk" front discs, but they dont make rear shoes. So what do you guys think are the best? Money I dont need to save, I do the labor.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Best brake SHOES?

I use Raybestos pads all the way around.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:00 PM

That must mean you have discs on all four corners?? Been meaning to ask the silly question about changing over? Bet the rear end is different right? looks wider to me. Axles a different length? Always a posi, right?

Wouldnt make sense any other way.

So what else is different? How hard is it to change to a four wheel drive disc equipped rear? Are most or all equipped with discs? I have one of ours that has a leak in the front. Rather than just plain fixen things, I like to IMPROVE things. You'd be surprised at how well our cars actually BECOME after arriving here.

I actually prefer lockers a whole lot over posis but the disc brakes make it interesting.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:35 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

The rear rotors are wider because they are also the "drum" for the parking brake. You'll see when you jump in there.

Just as easy as replacing the front pads.
What leaks? the caliper? brake line? Get it fixed my friend!

Old 04-08-2006, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: blazingsadle

That must mean you have discs on all four corners?? Been meaning to ask the silly question about changing over? Bet the rear end is different right? looks wider to me. Axles a different length? Always a posi, right?

Wouldnt make sense any other way.

So what else is different? How hard is it to change to a four wheel drive disc equipped rear? Are most or all equipped with discs? I have one of ours that has a leak in the front. Rather than just plain fixen things, I like to IMPROVE things. You'd be surprised at how well our cars actually BECOME after arriving here.

I actually prefer lockers a whole lot over posis but the disc brakes make it interesting.

Have just recently (last nite) read that the rear end on a four wheel drive is wider. Perhaps folks are measuring the TOTAL outside to outside. Kind of a nutty way to compare rears. Used to be backing plate to backing plate, when doing one still on car and seal to seal when possible.

So if the basic seal to seal distance is the same, then the disc/parking brake setup makes it wider? Someone clear me up?

We have a MINOR leak at the YOKE end of the rear. (FRONT) The place where the big nut is?? Fixing it means taking the whole thing apart and rebuilding a rear end. (at least as far as I am concerned.) I just dont believe in going to do all that work and not doing it right. BTW lots of cars loose a little gear lube here, few pay attention enough to notice.

Its a good enough reason to look for a posi/disc equipped rear to replace it with.

Still dont have an answer to the real question. Drum brakes are not that bad when equipped properly. Trouble is, most folks pay high prices for good discs and 15 bucks for the rear shoes.

I am looking for an improvement and would like to hear from those who have tried.