General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dreaded door hinge question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 01:11 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dreaded door hinge question.

Hi. I need to replace my passenger side door hinge pins. I had done the driver's side a couple years ago. My question is, since GM decided it was a good idea to weld the hinges to the door and body, what do we do when the hole in the hinge gets too worn? Is it a job for the body shop at this point? In my case it looks like I can get by with replacing the bushings, but looking at it made me curious. Doesn't look like a good design to me.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:11 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dreaded door hinge question.

I had picked up the pins from a dealer and have to do the same door. I haven't done the job yet myself.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

just did it a few weeks ago, was pretty easy, then went to a body shop and had them put those damn springs back in for me instead of me buying the took to use it twice in my life.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:36 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

just did it a few weeks ago, was pretty easy, then went to a body shop and had them put those damn springs back in for me instead of me buying the took to use it twice in my life.
Did you tap the pins out w/ an awl or something? I don't want to put dents into the door yet.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

just had someone hold the door up to right level, and then put a screwdriver on the hinge, and smacked it out.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:05 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: frankjc

Hi. I need to replace my passenger side door hinge pins. I had done the driver's side a couple years ago. My question is, since GM decided it was a good idea to weld the hinges to the door and body, what do we do when the hole in the hinge gets too worn? Is it a job for the body shop at this point? In my case it looks like I can get by with replacing the bushings, but looking at it made me curious. Doesn't look like a good design to me.
If the hinge holes are out of round too much, You can weld the bad side of the hinge a lil bit, then round file it out till the new pin slides through (BALL BUSTER) Poor Design I agree. Spray can grease your door pins every time you change your oil and you may never have to replace those peskey pins again. Remember (TIP) The bushings are two different size's, Big for the top end of the pin, Small for the lower end of the pin. 40min per door with a helping hand. Good Luck

Old 06-11-2006, 02:31 PM

It's done...finally, except for the spring. The last time I did this there were 3 of us working on it, 2 holding the door, and 1 putting the pins in. We got the spring in with prybars. I tried it this time, but I got too frustrated. I used a chair that was just about the right height to hold the door, with a jack under it. Took about 20 minutes. Now I have to get the spring in there.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

I have this problem with my driver's door... I was told by the Chevy body shop that they can replace the pins but in a couple of months it'll just be the same problem again since the holes are worn out and that YES I should be looking to replace the actual hinge. It is a welding thing and would need to be done at a body shop... so I didnt bother doing the pins and I'm going to wait till I can afford it done right.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:28 AM

I think it's ridiculous that they are welded on. It would seem to be hard to adjust the door if you had to replace them.