General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Flaky CD player in stock headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Pugsley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flaky CD player in stock headunit

When I pop in CDs into my head unit, it either won't play or take a long time to load. If it doesn't load, it flashes "CHECK CD" on the display. When it does play it takes forever to 'find' the tracks, but once it's working it will play through the whole CD.

At first I thought it was just my burnt mix CDs, but after some testing I found that real CDs do the same thing. I've even tested the CDs in other vehicles, including a '01 Chevy Malibu with the same head unit and they all work just fine.

Is there some sort of an aftermarket cleaning kit I can pick up to run through there? I'm thinking the symptoms are from a dirty lens, but I'm not sure. I'm not in a financial situation to pick up a new head unit at the moment, and besides I like the stock units--they are good enough for me. I hate having the aftermarket head units stick out with one of those mounting kits.... I think it that just looks tacky.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Flaky CD player in stock headunit

I'd spin over to Wal-Mart and pick up a laser eye cleaning CD. They work pretty good and may revive your CD player.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:38 PM

I looked at wally world but I didnt see anything back by the car stereo/automotive stuff...maybe I should check out the Rex car audio place in my town.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Look for it in with the CDs and electronics equipment.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:47 PM

So I picked up one of those cleaning deals (the CD with the brushes on the bottom). I throw it in my CD player and it spits it out and says check CD. I got it to stay in there for a couple seconds one time, but I'm not sure it did anything. Still dislikes all my CDs....

Looks like I'll be buying a new head unit this summer...Anyone have any recommendations of mounting brackets that wont make it stick out like a sore thumb? (the double-wide slot to the single) I hate how those kits make the head unit stick out farther than the dash.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:36 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

it's not the lazer...it's the tray...had similar problems with an after market pioneer....easier to get a new one....then fix it...why don't you go to a junk yard..and get another stock radio since you like them so much?? shouldn't be all that much...hell I'd sell ya mine...but when the truck gets sold...I need to put the radio back in....good luck!

Old 04-21-2006, 09:02 PM
sledneck16 is an unknown quantity at this point

im selling the deck out of my 05 if your interested--jsut the standard cd with no tape deck in it--i'll let it go cheap [8D]