General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How do you check the timing??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 02:28 AM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you check the timing??

How do you check the timing? Lets say i have a hunch that my timing chain jumped a tooth. How do i check for sure? I dont have any testers or anyting like that. But my uncle told me about a way by using the #1 plug , something along that line. Taking the distributor cap off and see if something lines up. If anyone knows any ways, could u please let me know in a step by step way. Or even a diagram or some pics will be very helpful. Its for a 92 4x4 Blazer 4.3L Vortec CPI vin code "w"

Old 11-05-2006, 03:37 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: How do you check the timing??

Remove #1 spark plug.
Mark a line on the distributor housing that lines up with #1 plug wire. ( I use a paint pen)
Remove the distributor cap.
disconnect the wires to the coil
Either use a remote starter or an assistant to "bump" the starter...don't crank the engine over, just bump it so it turns a little at a time.
Put your finger on the spark plug hole and check for compression. When you feel tha air pressure on your finger stop bumping the starter.
Check your timing marks on the crankshaft pully and use a socket and ratchett to align the timing mark at "0" on the timing cover.
When thats all lining up, look at your distributor rotor, it should be lined up with the mark you made on the distributor housing.
If the rotor is not real close to the mark...your timing chain has probably slipped due to worn gears on the camshaft timing gear.....if that's the case you need a new tining chain, cam gear and crank gear.

keep us up to date.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:07 PM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, im short of an assistant right now. But lets say I mark the #1 wire on the dist. housing. then, how about I put something in the #1 spark plug hole like a screw driver, and I crank the engine until the screwdriver is pushed out so the piston is at the top of the bore. Then how can i can i adjust the crankshaft pulley? Do i have to get to it from under? Then I use a socket and just turn it? Wheres the "0" mark? Where on the rotor am I looking for it to line up? That little copper looking thing sticking out?

Lets say I get that far and it doesnt line up, Is it a tought job to do yourself? If I bring it to a mechanic, do you think it will be really explensive?

Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM
BlazerRJM is an unknown quantity at this point

look at my post "another fuel related question" it has the same theme....

Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not put anything through the spark plug hole... It is very possible to do some serious damage with anything in the combustion chamber that isn't supposed to be there. Especially when turning over the engine with the starter.

I haven't looked at my 4.3L, but on my older small blocks, there is a timing indicator on the cam cover which slightly overlaps the harmonic balancer (behind the crank pulley itself). And yeah, you can turn the motor over from the underside using a socket and ratchet.