General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

leaking freon

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:38 AM
blazerscooby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leaking freon

i have a 97 blazer and my question is my freon is leaking out. i didnt know what the trouble was at first so i got a can of freon and filled it up. it worked good for about 3 weeks. then i thought i would put some stop leak in it to maybe find the leak. after that i was cleaning my engine with degreser and i got some onto the canister where you put the freon into and the degreser was bubbleing up. does anyone know how to stop the leak from that point. ty

Old 07-02-2006, 03:00 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: leaking freon

ORIGINAL: blazerscooby

i have a 97 blazer and my question is my freon is leaking out. i didnt know what the trouble was at first so i got a can of freon and filled it up. it worked good for about 3 weeks. then i thought i would put some stop leak in it to maybe find the leak. after that i was cleaning my engine with degreser and i got some onto the canister where you put the freon into and the degreser was bubbleing up. does anyone know how to stop the leak from that point. ty
Is it leaking by the big (1 1/4 or 1 1/16) nut. If it is you could try to tighten it, but chances are the "o" ring is no good. Then the system has to be evacuated ( with professional equiptment). Then the "o" ring needs to be replaced and the a/c system recharged. If it's been leaking for a while, that can ( dryer) should be replaced. It contains dessicant, like the stuff in stereo and tv packaging. It's in there to remove moisture from the system.
I don't know parts prices or labor rates in the States, but in Canada you would probably pay about $200

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/570A0DDB923F4B85BCD38D493755E142.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member
sleonh is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1997 also. I went thru the same stuff with leaking slowly. It was checked with no one able to locate a leak. The Master Mech told me it was most likely a leak at the compresser. See if you have any oil/grease around that compressor. If you do, most likely the compressor will need to be replaced. Most compressor manuf. will only waranty the compressors when you replace the dryer and the other thing. It cost me $688. Works great now.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: sleonh

I have a 1997 also. I went thru the same stuff with leaking slowly. It was checked with no one able to locate a leak. The Master Mech told me it was most likely a leak at the compresser. See if you have any oil/grease around that compressor. If you do, most likely the compressor will need to be replaced. Most compressor manuf. will only waranty the compressors when you replace the dryer and the other thing. It cost me $688. Works great now.
Ouch!!!! Yes it is common for the front seal on the compressor to fail. ( compressor front shaft seal). It is not common to replace the whole compressor though. It is far more common to replace the shaft seal (only). It makes sense to replace the accumulator if the system has been empty for a while, because the dessicant inside is probably saturated with moisture.