General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Maybe Fuel Pump maybe Timing???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Maybe Fuel Pump maybe Timing???

Man I wish my fuel pump was that cheap! Not that I have had to replace mine (yet - knocks on wood)!

Good luck with the repair!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

Replacing the fuel pump is a rough job, that burnt out relay makes me think the fuel pump may not be bad though. Try swapping the fuel pump relay with the horn relay, it should be the same relay, if the horn doesn't work and the truck suddenly starts up, you've narrowed it down to a cheap relay that takes seconds to change. If the truck still won't start think about dropping the fuel tank and replacing the pump.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:57 PM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

well, i already tried that, ...but i dont think the other relay is a horn relay because i took it out and the horn still works.
I took the gas tank bottom cover off today and banged around on the gas tank. It sounded hollow, too hollow. As if it were empty!!![sm=bangbang.gif]

Maybe my gauge or sending unit is broken. But the thing that has me, is that i dont hear the fuel pump prime up when i turn the key. Would the fuel pump prime if the tank is empty? Maybe i dont even need to replace the pump.
I'm going to put some gas in when my brother gets home cuz i dont have a ride.
Let me know what u think

Old 11-07-2006, 11:54 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

You've really thrown me off with this whole bad relay thing. How did you determine that the fuel pump relay was bad? How did you determine that the relay you replaced it with was a working relay? Did you check the relay after trying to start the truck to make sure there isn't something wrong with the circuit such that it's burning up relays? I'd hate to see you spend a lot of time and a lot of money on something that doesn't need to be replaced.

If you ran the truck bone dry you may have overheated the bearings in the fuel pump and seized the motor, I believe the bearings are cooled by the fuel itself. As much as it makes sense to order parts online, I always buy them locally unless it's something that is strictly cosmetic or convenience. My car is a daily driver, if it breaks down I not only loose money on the parts to fix it, I loose money for the time I missed at work while I was busy fixing my car. I'd rather get parts today and be able to exchange them should I get the wrong parts by mistake or should I discover that something else is wrong before installing the new parts. Down time costs money too.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 AM

You're absolutely right. I believe that buying the parts locally is much more convenient, but due the the unfortunate fact that I'm a 20 year old college guy on a veryyy tight budget, buying the pump online is alot less expensive.

Those relays, the fuel relay i found out to be burned. What was actually burnt was the connector. If I bypass the constant power wire to the wire to the fuel pump, I can hear the fuel pump buzzing. I'm not sure if its priming though, Could it still buzz and not work? I would assume. My hope is that the fuel pump is still ok, and that maybe I just need to replace the relay connecter.
But the other thing I might have a hunch on is the fuel injectors. Could they be the cause of it not starting? Is there any way I can test them? Also is that a tough job to fix those?

It definetly would be nice to get my blazer running so I can be a happy camper again.
That and so i can get to work and class alot more conveniently. Also I havent left the house in 9 days instead to go to class and work. I usually take my truck up to the reservation to go hiking and go to the gym every other day. lol..enough sulking, ...time to get it back running

Just also wanted to thank all u guys for your help. Dont know what i'd do without it.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:11 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

IIRC there should be a wire hanging on the firewall with a green connector (not hooked up to anything) I believe this is the fuel pump test wire. If you use a jumper from the positive terminal of the battery to this connector, it should run your fuel pump.................................You do have gas in the tank......right?

Old 11-08-2006, 02:15 AM

yeh, i just put in another two gallons today. Where exactly is this connector located? I just jump the posotive to it? Do i need to ground it? And this will test the fuel pump or the injectors?

Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: USMaverick101

yeh, i just put in another two gallons today. Where exactly is this connector located? I just jump the posotive to it? Do i need to ground it? And this will test the fuel pump or the injectors?
The wire should be on the firewall, probably close to the relays, no need to ground, just positive to the connector.
It should run the fuel pump.
Sorry, I don't have any pictures for a '92

Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 AM

ok, thanks for that info chevylover,. defintly will try tomorrow if its not raining here too much in jersey.

Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 AM

by the way, ....

any advice on how to test the fuel injectors?

Quick Reply: Maybe Fuel Pump maybe Timing???