General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Negative/Ground???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Negative/Ground???

From the negative connection on the battery, where do all those wires go and connect to? I have 3 wires: one black fat, and two black thin cables/wires. I think that the fat wire goes to the starter, right? Then the other two should go to ground somewhere, right? WHERE???

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Nomad76lj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Negative/Ground???

i think that one thin one should be a body ground and the other should be grounded to the frame. think thats right hope i helped u. if u can try tracing them from the batery to where they go. i know its hard the way they twist and turn under there.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

None of your negative wires should go to the sarter!!!!!!

Teh negative wires go to the engine, frame, and body. The largest should go to the engine, then on the back of the engine should be a flat bare wire that goes to the firewall. One of them off the battery will no doubt go to the frame under the battery tray. You could always follow them and see where they go. [&:]

Old 04-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Starting Member

What did you say about the flat bare wire that goes to the firewall? I saw that wire in 2000 but not a 97 blazer!? How/where do I connect the ground wires in the back of the engine? I have like 4 different black wires (behind the engine on the wiring harness that goes back to the tranny) that look like ground wires, but I don't know where to connect them??

Thanks

Old 04-14-2006, 12:04 AM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

Heavy wire goes to block. No negatives to the starter at all. Straps (bare ones) are installed from block to chassis to make sure ground is good in certain places. At the distributor (if you have one) you'll find one from block to firewall. May be several more depending on wiring design of important ckts. Those may need a specific resistance free ground and be mounted to the body somewhere. If they need a better ground, the factory will have added a strap back to the block for them. This is aplicable for MANY automobiles nowadays.

The other two should go to chassis or one side of a set of ckts. The only answer is tracing them by unwrapping all that factory tape and fancy covering. I wouldnt do it if I were you. Unless you are also able to put it back.

Had to add. Grd groups (multiple wires) do exist and often are grouped together and added under a bolt DIRECTLY to the engine block. You will even see cases where two or three wires will have the same terminal and be bolted to the engine. This is all the keep what is known as a star ground system in existence. Every ground goes to the the engine block if it has anything to do with sensors or other real important ckts. Lights are not that way however.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Starting Member

Thanks but I connected all the ground wires and everything else and my starter wouldn't even turn the engine!!!!![:@][:@] Anyone know why???

It does clicking sounds/noise, I'm guessing when the star thing goes out (inside the starter).

Anyone please

Old 04-17-2006, 02:46 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

If your starter is clicking? Take it out and take it to your favorite autoparts store and have it tested. No doubt it needs to be replaced.

OR it could be a low battery, have it tested at the same time.

It could be the big thick cable running from the positive battery post to the starter. If it shows signs of corrosion (usually green in color) bare or broken strands, replace it. New ones don't cost much, but come in different lengths. Take the old one with you or measure how long it is. The smaller wire on the new connector goes to the alternator.