Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Negative Camber Issue 97 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Negative Camber Issue 97 Blazer

Hey guys, this is a great forum and I am now a new member! I've searched everywhere for the answer to my question but just can't seem to find it ANYWHERE! I'm new to lifted trucks and Blazers in general, so bare with me!!!

I bought a lifted 97 Blazer S10 about a month ago. It sits on 35's with an 8in lift. It has 100,000 miles on it and I paid $1500. I knew it had some minor problems when I bought it, including the neg camber. Everything else was immediatly fixed except this (brakes and master cylinder)... and here inlies my problem!

I took it to a shop to try and get an alignment that would fix the camber problem. After they got it on the lift they told me they couldn't even align it due to the control arm bushings being "blown out" and that it would cost me $400 to get them replaced. Could this be the ONLY reason for the neg camber or what? I have a friend who can help me replace them if I buy the bushings but I don't want to buy them and that not even be the issue. Has anyone heard of this being the ONLY reason for what I consider a pretty severe camber issue? I really want to get this fixed but I don't want to spend more money than necesary... is there a kit for my specific Blazer for neg camber? Does anyone know where a step by step guide is to replace the control arm bushings? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I'll try to post pictures later, if anyone would like to see it...

THANKS!

Last edited by shotnva777; 08-07-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bad control arm bushings can definitely cause camber issues.

Have you looked at them? They should be nice, smooth rubber that is either flush or a little recessed to/from the inner/outer sleeves. If they are cracked all over or look like they are bulging out between the inner & outer sleeves, then they should be changed.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Starting Member

I've looked but I don't k ow exactly which ones are the control arm bushings! Is there anyway you could post a picture of the ones I should check?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need to inspect the bushings that are on the upper & lower control arms where the control arms meet the framework.

Given that your truck has 8" of lift (assuming 2" body lift with a 6" suspension lift), it could be from over tweaked torsion bars as well. 35" tires are too big for even a 6" lift IMO. People end up tweaking things too much and run into geometry problems.

You can browse through Compnine.com's diagram section, but it isn't going to look exactly like what you have given your lift.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Starting Member

The dimensions you posted are correct... if this was my problem (geometry) how would or could I fix this?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Either install longer upper control arms or lessen the crank on the t-bars. You may have to consider dropping the tire size down a bit as well.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Starting Member

Can someone show me where to get these longer upper control arms? I've found a couple sites (I believe) but id like to buy the correct ones the FIRST time. I have a friend who said he'd help me put on the arms, as well as all of my new control arm bushings. Upper and lower... hopefully this'll correct the negative camber issue I have!

I'm also guna loosen the t bar bolts n see what it does...

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-11-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.