General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Noise near front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:23 AM
sharpy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noise near front wheel

Hi, maybe someone would like to help with my little problem. I have a 99 Blazer 4wd 4.3 L
when I'm going slow speed or even when I'm getting out of my driveway and going over a little bump,I hear a noise like someone is giving a little shot of hammer under the floor left side. I can hear this sound 10 times on half a kilometre and I think it's getting worst.
I have change the bearing wheel two years ago and the 4 shocks this spring, and everything under seam to be normal. There is no loose on the wheel up and down or left and right, and it's making no noise when I try to shake it, so I don't suspect ball joint or tie rod.
When I'm going high spead I don't hear anything, maybe the sound is not loud enough.
Someone told me to look for a loose on my sway bar or stabilizer bar but it seam ok.

Thank you for your help.

It's my first time on Blazer forum, I have been reading some and you guys seam to really know what your talking about.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Noise near front wheel

Try this, take a rag and stick it near the driver's side hood hinge and close the hood down on the rag. Make sure not to ball up the rag too much and bend the hinge. You just need enough of a pad to tighten up the hood. If after doing this, your noise is gone, you need to purchase a set of bellville washers from the dealership. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this problem.

If that doesn't quiet things down, then check your shocks for play. I had this same problem even after replacing all of the balljoints and the shocks. Ended up being the upper shock bolt was not tightened enough. Well, actually, it was tightened enough, but the top bushing in the new shocks wasn't as wide as was necessary to fit snug in the upper mount. This required a lot more torque on the upper shock mounting bolt to squeeze things down.

Other than that, you've already got the other bases covered.