General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

noisy (tapping)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:01 AM
*TLR* is an unknown quantity at this point
Default noisy (tapping)

seems as i excell the tapping is rapid.l...thinking its noisy lifters waht do you guys think.......ive got a 2002 GMC Envoy, and a 2002 Chevrolet Blazer S10. what are the differences between the two vortec engines. my blazer does not tap, but the envoy taps like a mo'fo'. is it just in the design of the envoy's engine. the envoy has 30,000 miles the blazer has 60,000 miles, both in like-new condition.can i adjust tappets/lifter's on this engine......an advice/ input would be nice guys and girlies

Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: noisy (tapping)

There is a HUGE difference between the engines. The blazer has the 4.3L v6 with a centrally located cam servicing both sides of the engine. The Envoy has an all aluminum 4.2L inline 6 with dual overhead cams. I do not think there are lifters in the DOHC design of your engine.

Some quick internet searching came up with a problem of pistons cracking, but this normally resulted in a completely dead engine, not just a tap. Does it sound like a tap or more like a knock??

Old 04-23-2006, 12:27 PM
*TLR* is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds just like a tapping not knock, very light, goes away after running a few, so i guess a little oil getting up there quiets it a little.......i will change oil today, maybe oil that is in it is to thin or too thick...maybe if the oil is too thick, and takes it a few minutes to really get warm, enough to be carried to top of engine interals

Old 04-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I sincerely hope that it is not the piston problem that some have been having. If it sounds like it is in the top end, then it most likely is. I would do an oil change and see where that gets you.

With such few miles, there shouldn't be problems like this, but if manufacturing was perfect (no defects), we'd all probably still own the first car we ever purchased.