General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen Sensors - What NOT to do...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Oxygen Sensors - What NOT to do...

ORIGINAL: DaveLance

For any OBD2 blazer, you will have 3 O2 sensors. 2 pre-cat, one off the drivers side of the exhaust y-pipe, and the other right before the 'y' in the y-pipe on the passenger side. The 3rd is located behind the cat and is only there for catalyst monitoring, meaning the pcm does not use it to calculate the proper IPWs.
As an FYI, my '96 (OBD2) has 4 O2 sensors. One from either side of the engine, one pre-cat and one post-cat.
Thanks for clearing that up. I have only been under '97 and newer Blazers so I haven't seen the '96.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

UPDATE: OK, Now It's Gettin' Weird.

Previously, my 'Service Engine Soon' light had come on and it coded a P0134 (HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1), and I was going to get a new sensor and swap it out when I got the chance.

Recently, I was experiencing some interment part-throttle hesitation and balking, so a couple days ago I put a bottle of my favorite fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Last night, on the way home, it balked and acted like it was going to stall, so I pumped the peddle a few times, and it lurched back to life, and it backfired out the exhaust.

It ran fine the rest of the way home, and since, but I noticed as I arrived home that the SES light had gone out (and no, the dash light did not burn out, which was my first thought. The SES light still comes on when you first turn the ignition on).

Can these reset themselves ?

Old 04-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it is not a hard code, then it will reset after something like 5 drive cycles without the code. Hard codes may go away, but will still be recorded in the PCM. By go away, I mean that the CEL (SES) light may turn off, but the record would still be there.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, the light was on a lot longer than 5 drive cycles. I'll have to stop at AutoZone and let them see if the code is still there.

Thanks.