General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

remote starter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 08:59 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default remote starter?

I have 1 2000 4-door LT. I bought it used in January. There is a square black box hanging down behind the rearview mirror. I was told on another website that it has something to do with onstar, but everybody that I know that has a remote starter, has somekind of box or antennea in the same exact place. When I bought it, it didn't come with any remotes and the used car place told me that it didn't have a remote starter. Is there somewhere I can look under the hood to see if it has a remote starter. I know some stuff about cars, so you can tell me where to look. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:12 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: remote starter?

Driver side, under the dash.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:15 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

what should I look for there? will there be a sticker or something labeling it as a remote starter?

Old 05-27-2006, 12:12 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Labeling Under the hood should indicate...
"CAUTION: Engine Equiped with Remote Starter"

Old 05-27-2006, 12:02 PM

That's a good one!

Anything that does not look like it was factory installed. Remove the dash cover and you may find wires here and there. Sometimes a black box would be hook and looped or zip tied to a bracket.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:14 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in the MIDWEST, that's the warning sticker that goes on any vehicle under the hood (drivers side) with any remote starter installed on it, Perhaps some of you people from newyork never seen one of these stickers before, Warning that if you disconnect the battery cable and reconnect it, the engine could possibly-unexpectedly start and hurt some one. But youre right, That's a good one!

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

That's a good one!

Anything that does not look like it was factory installed. Remove the dash cover and you may find wires here and there. Sometimes a black box would be hook and looped or zip tied to a bracket.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:00 PM

Here in the MIDWEST, that's the warning sticker that goes on any vehicle under the hood (drivers side) with any remote starter installed on it, Perhaps some of you people from newyork never seen one of these stickers before, Warning that if you disconnect the battery cable and reconnect it, the engine could possibly-unexpectedly start and hurt some one. But youre right, That's a good one!

quote:

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife

quote:

That's a good one!

I know there are late model cars w/ factory/dealer remote starts available. What I didn't know they affixed the stickers.
I've disconnected my battery w/ the remote start installed on all but one cars I've owned. Never came to mind that it may start up!
Dang.