General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

RV Towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 10:34 PM
tbrinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RV Towing

Does anyone tow a travel trailer with your Blazer. I just bought a 24 foot TT which weighs 4400 pounds? My Blazer has been equiped with all the bells and whistles for towing, ie; class III hitch with load levelers, anti-sway bars, etc, etc. I apologize it this question has been asked before but I did a search and didn't find a similar question.

Terry

Old 05-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: RV Towing

I've only towed smaller trailers full of junk on mine...no RV's. Is there any paperwork or anything that would tell you towing capacity?

Old 05-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look in your owners manual. Should be in section 4 "Your Driving and the Road", around pg 4-44. If you do not have your owners manual anymore, you can register, for free, at MyGMLink.com. I have all of my GM vehicles registered there and it really does provide some nice reminders once in awhile, plus is has an electronic version of the owners manual.

For my Bravada, the manual states that the trailer should not exceed 5,600lbs. I will say this though, that is highly dependant on the loading of the trailer (any trailer) and too high/low a tongue load can be VERY dangerous. My manual goes over all of this information.

You will also need to have a brake controller. If you can, splurge on a nicer progressive gain unit.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, If you are going to be towing that 4400#'s often, you may want to consider getting an AUX TRANSMISSION COOLER INSTALLED on your blazer. Heat will kill your transmission fast. Just something to consider.................

Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

^^^What he said^^^

For the $50 investment and the benefits, it is one thing I do to all of my vehicles regardless of what they will be used for.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 PM
tom1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

To add to what everyone has said you will have to know what trailer tongue weight your blazer can handle. Then there is the loading of the trailer, try to distribute your gear equally this will give you better control of the trailer also remember that half full/ empty potable, grey(is separate from black water), and black water will cause weight shifts which also could effect drive ability.

Equipment, by all means splurge on the brake controller, the tranny cooler like dino55 said, you didn't mention what weight rating the load levelers are, these will will effect the tongue weight too. The anti-sway bars, are they one or two separate units or is it the "incorporated" type load levelers? If they are separate, great they work the best (do not ever back up with them on you could/will damage them.

One other thing you will probably need to change your signal flasher on the fuse block to a heavy duty one. The extra draw from the trailer will cause your blinkers to flash rapidly and be very dim.

Old 05-30-2006, 04:48 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Yeah, electric trailer brakes. You don't what the trailer passing you during an emergency stop.

An extra fluid capacity rear diff cover is an option too. It'll help keep the diff fluid temps down.